Long Distance Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorsailor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be making a trip from western Washington to Great Lakes, Illinois at the end of this week due to change of duty stations. I will be towing my Focus ST the whole trip. Are there any recommendations or past experiences that the group can share? Also I have the 5star tuner with performance/economy/tow haul tunes available. Will I benefit more in tow haul or economy for this trip? The car is pretty light and will not push the truck, but I have never towed with it so I am unsure what is the best option. Any inputs are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tow haul will help a bit crossing the mountains but for the rest of flat land America just drive normally.

You won't see much of a benefit,

Tow haul just holds gears longer and limits downshifting also allows more "engine braking" that's about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed from South Jersey to Myrtle Beach, SC and back.. left T/H on the whole time. It'll shift to 6th when you're on the highway for eco.. but, more importantly, it'll downshift when you need to brake.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hauled a 3000 pound trailer from eastern South Dakota to northern Utah last week. I gotta say... I didn't notice much difference between tow/haul mode on and off. it didn't seem to have much (if any) difference on my MPG's.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use "Tow Haul" in the hills or shift manually in "M" mode if the truck hunts for a gear..... but have done both. My recommendation is if you use a trailer, to check the trailer bearings regularly and repack before you go, as this most likely where you'll have problems, not with the truck. These trucks are a joy to tow with because of their ride, power, length and track width. Super stable.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The raptor will have plenty of power to tow your car, use the t/h especially on the big hills, it will keep your tranny from overheating. The gas mileage will suck your wallet, but you will really feel comfortable in the truck and you'll have moments where you forget that your towing anything at all.

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also it doesn't look like anyone mentioned it -

weight distributing hitch

Last edited: