Lights in Snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are the opinions of those that have done a fair amount of driving in snow as to the best color of light? I grew up in a seacoast town with months of fog in the Spring/Fall and always used Amber lights. Later I lived in Iron Mountain , MI...100 miles North of Green Bay, WI.....(Packers forever!); and found that Blue lights did better in White snow, though Amber was still better than White lights.
What are your thoughts? Snoball 500 participants?
Thanks,
Eddie

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I bought ambers to use at Snoball and never put them on. Personally, I had no issues running white at any point.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In blowing snow, blue kicks ass. We swapped covers on my Light Cannons on the pre-run and blue bounced back the least amount of light. You could tell there was snow in the light beam, but there the reflection was minimal. Amber is better than white, but still pretty bad IMHO. White is terrible when it's blowing.

When you're the lead truck, or it's simply not snowing, white is fine. I run that at home since I can't use the lights like I do off road.

I have a youtube video of me cutting trail during the pre-run with just my blue light cannons and my white Rigid Dullays somewhere. While it's not blowing snow and won't help with your question, it does give you an idea of the color to oncoming traffic. Let me find the link and I'll post.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are the opinions of those that have done a fair amount of driving in snow as to the best color of light? I grew up in a seacoast town with months of fog in the Spring/Fall and always used Amber lights. Later I lived in Iron Mountain , MI...100 miles North of Green Bay, WI.....(Packers forever!); and found that Blue lights did better in White snow, though Amber was still better than White lights.
What are your thoughts? Snoball 500 participants?
Thanks,
Eddie

Iron Mountain?

I graduated high school from Norway.

OP
OP
Ditchplains1

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kanakry,
I worked at Dickinson County Memorial Hospital for 3 years in the ER. My house's foundation was dug by a man from Norway. I also moonlighted at St. Francis in Escanaba...
Eddie

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I guess it helps I wasn't riding the guy in front of me and we never had any spots where the wind was really blowing the snow.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran amber at the first SnoBall. This year I experimented with blue before the event. Blue was so much better I tinted all my lights except the 2 with amber bulbs. Would highly recommend blue for snow. There is so much less reflection I was able to run my lights up high most of the time.
ezupy2ab.jpg

OP
OP
Ditchplains1

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:secret:LabRaptor et al,
Thanks! I was leaning to Blue covers for the snow, Amber covers for fog. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't wasting any money on blue lens covers...
Thanks to all,
Eddie