Led headlight bulb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am at a loss to understand what problem this product and others like it actually solve. I have the standard H13 halogens in my 2011 Raptor, and the lighting is very good under normal nighttime road conditions. They are undeniably superior than the projector headlights in my wife's 2013 Ford Edge. If these LED bulbs produce more light, then the chances that the light is too much for oncoming drivers is also greater. (You can't have the one without the other.) If the light has a designed-in sharp upper cut-off, then you have the same problem that I observe in my wife's car. If lower current draw is the primary advantage, then it really is a solution in search of a problem because my truck's electrical system is designed for the factory H13s and is most definitely not stressed by those bulbs. So I'm scratching my head wondering why I should spend $150 on this mod over another equally priced mod.

A separate consideration is whether these or any LED replacement bulbs are DOT approved. Since these are 4x4 Truck LED's private brand I question whether they satisfy all DOT specifications and requirements. You tell me - do they? If they don't, then I can't help but wonder why I'd spend good money to have illegal headlights that might well draw tickets from local law enforcement agencies and cost me even more money.

You will note that I am not trashing the product. Rather, I'm expressing my concerns about their value and practicality which are wise and valid consumer issues.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No our bulbs are not DOT approved. The same way the fog light kits, Baja kits, Rigid kits, etc... we sell are not DOT approved. This is an aftermarket lighting world and getting DOT approval is almost impossible. In fact even the Rigid "SAE" approved products are NOT approved for street use, they only pass "safety" precautions.

Most aftermarket headlight housings are also not approved either.

Why spend good money on the accessories us truck owners buy? Because we f-ing love buying accessories and making our trucks stand out/different.

Don't like it? No problem, nobody forces any truck owner to customize/modify their vehicles.

People spend money on "illegal" headlights as you put it because the stock lights typicaly suck.

I get where you are coming from, but it's just another part of accessorize your rig.

My truck has lights galore, none of them legal to use on the street, didn't stop me from adding them. I don't draw attention by driving with them all on and i've never had issues with the police.

You are not going to have issues if you use a good LED conversion kit, that does not caause glare. yes, they put out more light, BUT that does not mean it's going to blind other drivers. I always recommend going with projectors and our quality LED/HID kits. But if you can't get projectors, you can certainly use our LED products in your headlights. They won't cause glare and if you aim them properly you'll be set (you HAVE to re-aim headlights anytime you change bulbs, especially LED, because there is MORE LIGHT, so naturally you want them aimed down about 2" below your center line of your trucks headlights...follow the instructions in your trucks manual)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^Bingo. You fell for it. The DOT doesn't approve anything. Manufacturers do not send their products to the DOT for testing and approval. The DOT is not in the business of spending taxpayer money to enable manufacturers to make a profit.

Manufacturers either certify that their products meet specified DOT requirements or they admit that their products do not meet them. I think that your admission, "...getting DOT approval is almost impossible" is revealing in two ways: that your product is not DOT approved, and more importantly that you don't understand DOT requirements and did not attempt to make your product DOT legal.

My truck has lights galore, too. Both sets of fogs lights and the driving lights meet DOT requirements. Says so right on the package they came in, and I keep the salient portions of the packages in the dash of my truck in case an LEO pulls me over to chat about them. I think it's just good citizenship and common everyday politeness while driving streets and highways to use lighting products that are certified by the manufacturer for that use. I like to be polite and I like to be a good citizen - values I learned when very young.

Hopefully the packaging and instructions for your product (both!) clearly and unequivocally announce that your product does not meet DOT requirements, are not certified for street or highway use, and therefore may subject the user to fines and/or arrest. Good citizenship and customer care require it. If your packaging and instructions do not now provide those facts about your product, make the necessary changes. You owe your customers the truth about your product.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Soo yer argument is that you are being a good citizen with your "DOT approved" driving and fogs but everybody else is wrong for putting LED headlight bulbs in? What "DOT Approved" lighting are you using. Also if you are using more then 4 forward facing white lights, you are breaking the law...

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No our bulbs are not DOT approved. The same way the fog light kits, Baja kits, Rigid kits, etc... we sell are not DOT approved. This is an aftermarket lighting world and getting DOT approval is almost impossible. In fact even the Rigid "SAE" approved products are NOT approved for street use, they only pass "safety" precautions.

Most aftermarket headlight housings are also not approved either.

Why spend good money on the accessories us truck owners buy? Because we f-ing love buying accessories and making our trucks stand out/different.

Don't like it? No problem, nobody forces any truck owner to customize/modify their vehicles.

People spend money on "illegal" headlights as you put it because the stock lights typicaly suck.

I get where you are coming from, but it's just another part of accessorize your rig.

My truck has lights galore, none of them legal to use on the street, didn't stop me from adding them. I don't draw attention by driving with them all on and i've never had issues with the police.

You are not going to have issues if you use a good LED conversion kit, that does not caause glare. yes, they put out more light, BUT that does not mean it's going to blind other drivers. I always recommend going with projectors and our quality LED/HID kits. But if you can't get projectors, you can certainly use our LED products in your headlights. They won't cause glare and if you aim them properly you'll be set (you HAVE to re-aim headlights anytime you change bulbs, especially LED, because there is MORE LIGHT, so naturally you want them aimed down about 2" below your center line of your trucks headlights...follow the instructions in your trucks manual)[/quot
<<<

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Opinions are like a... well you know the phrase... people like to argue on the internet, I don't know why. I sell a quality product and the people who seem "against it" have yet to take me up on my 100% money back guarantee so what else can ya do. Those folks on here who have used our products are sitting there laughing I bet cause they know they have a mighty fine product and can see at night again :) I sell a lot of LED lights, so if LED Conversion Kits are not yer thing we have lots of other choices.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4X4 Truck LED. I would let your last post stand as is. As good of an exit strategy as you will make. The option is there for anyone to purchase/try your products. Thanks for sharing on the forum.

R,
HAP

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cry all you want, i am super happy with them. @Ruger aren't you supposed to be complaining in the pedal Commander thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Soo yer argument is that you are being a good citizen with your "DOT approved" driving and fogs but everybody else is wrong for putting LED headlight bulbs in? What "DOT Approved" lighting are you using. Also if you are using more then 4 forward facing white lights, you are breaking the law...

Both sets of fogs are DOT, one set yellow, one set white. I only use one set of fogs at a time. Driving lights also DOT approved. I only use one set of auxiliary lights at a time, so only headlights and one set of auxiliary lights are ever lit at a time.

Here's the problem with your thinking and your product. The headlights are the primary lighting for the vehicle, and your product makes their use illegal. With your product the use of any other light source is superfluous because the primary lighting is illegal. Label your product accordingly. It's the only honest thing you can do for your customers.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ruger: You order a set of our lights and have them in front of you? If yes, look at the packaging. If not... well then... you really can't sit here and argue/bash my product. Also show me somewhere where I stated the products we sell are 100% legal for road use. In fact I think every single LED product we sell is marked for off-road use... and that's across every brand we sell. Because there is NO LEGAL LED bard on the market, that I'm aware of, unless you are in emergency services (that includes tow vehicles). LED light bars/light pods/etc... are not legal for road use. Most of us Don't care because we don't light up every bar we have on the road. WE're smart and only light up just enough to add a bit of light. You yourself stated that as well that you have different lights for different purposes.

On another note... you did not tell us what products you are using that are "DOT Approved"... so why don't you share with us whith products you are using that are road legal.

There is no need to pick a fight with me. Your own truck, from what you've told us, has LED lights on it illegal for road use, yet you don't see us bashing you. Yet you want to sit here and bash everybody else... that seems fair.