Keyhole next to license plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LD50

Reaction score
Tried a search with no luck. Does anybody know what the keyhole next to the rear license plate is for. I never even noticed it until today when I was putting my bed liner in.

keyhole2.JPG

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I believe it's like a plug. You unlock it and remove it then you have the hole to place the rod to let your tire down.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's to keep the pervert Chevy,toyota,ram,truck people from getting ideas!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe it's like a plug. You unlock it and remove it then you have the hole to place the rod to let your tire down.

This is correct. I tried it. You use your key and the whole thing pops right out, revealing the port to lower your spare. Prevents spare tire stealing.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Exactly correct.

LD50, you spent $40K+ on a truck. Some consideration ought to be given to spending some time with the Owner's Manual. There's an amazing amount of information in there. Oh the information density isn't that wonderful, but the sheer amount of information is considerable.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although, in his defense, 98% of the information is standard bs you know or don't need.

What they should do is QuickStart guide with the following:
How to use your gauge cluster LCD
How to use your nav unit
How to turn off damn seat chime
How to program your keyless door combo
How to program your garage door codes for those with a gate. (2012+)
What the key next to bumper is
What to tell people when they ask about the "loud" button
What to tell people when they ask if you frame is bent. ( see answer to loud button question)

Maybe then, you wouldn't have to know to skip to page 186 to turn off that seatbelt chime. There is a lot of useless info from pages 1-185.

Just sayin...If its worth reading, they will eventually make it a movie is my thinking.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, here's my way of looking at it. I ordered my Raptor on September 27, 2010 and took delivery on January 14, 2011. While I was waiting I downloaded the F150 Owner's Manual and the much smaller Raptor manual from Ford, and I read them both from cover to cover. When you spend $500 on a new GPS watch, do ya read the manual so you can learn to use it? When you spend $2500 on a new HDTV do ya read the manual so you hook it up right so that you get the most out of it? If that logic doesn't extend to a $40k+ vehicle, I'd like to know why.

Just sayin. These are sophisticated and complex high performance off-road vehicles, not your momma's Chevy. If a new owner breaks the truck because he was too stupid or lazy to read the manual that Ford provided with the truck, then he shouldn't expect Ford to pay for the damange. There won't be a movie.

No offense intended, it's just that there's some mature responsibility that is required to own and operate a vehicle like this. Well, any vehicle, really.

Last edited: