Key lock cylinder problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning before work I had an issue with my key not working in my ignition. After messing with it for a few hours and using wd40 it finally started working but I want to replace the lock cylinder so I don't get stranded somewhere. The cylinder is about 100 and another 100 to have it keyed if Ford does the work they want 400 plus.
My question is in the repair manual it says I have to remove the steering wheel and I'm wondering if I can get around that or is it going to set off a boobie trap if I don't.
Has anyone had to do this?

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this once a year ago. Basically the flap that closes the end of the cylinder wouldn't open. Did a quick search and found that it's semi rare for these trucks. There are 2 options. A, replace or B use force to get the key in. I forced mine with a screwdriver and got going. Mine hasn't done it since so I am still waiting for it to happen again

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is in the repair manual it says I have to remove the steering wheel and I'm wondering if I can get around that or is it going to set off a boobie trap if I don't.
Has anyone had to do this?

From what I've seen/read the steering wheel is easy to remove & replace, just a big allen-head capscrew...thought I would need to do that to replace the turn signal switch but turns out you don't even have to do that (very nice). Just don't blow the airbag lol!