GEN 1 Intermittent air bag light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 13' Screw with 52k on the odo. Many mods, but nothing on the interior and nothing of any consequence is years now. A few months ago I noticed that I started getting and intermittent airbag fault on the dash. I can turn off the truck, lock it and wait a few minutes for the ECM to fall asleep... then open and re-start and there is no light. This is starting to happen more and more frequently now. I tried using my scanner to read the fault and nothing comes up even when the light is on. Any ideas as to what might be the culprit? I'm guessing maybe the steering wheel or passenger seat... Anything cheaper than going to the stealership?

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 13' Screw with 52k on the odo. Many mods, but nothing on the interior and nothing of any consequence is years now. A few months ago I noticed that I started getting and intermittent airbag fault on the dash. I can turn off the truck, lock it and wait a few minutes for the ECM to fall asleep... then open and re-start and there is no light. This is starting to happen more and more frequently now. I tried using my scanner to read the fault and nothing comes up even when the light is on. Any ideas as to what might be the culprit? I'm guessing maybe the steering wheel or passenger seat... Anything cheaper than going to the stealership?

Sounds like a passenger seat occupancy sensor error?

OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Had this numerous times on BMW's. Pulling the seat skin to replace is a PITA. Why would the scanner not show this though?

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot easier than drilling wheep holes on GEN2. lol
On a serious note check seat belt buckle assemblies. They can cause the airbag light .

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Had this numerous times on BMW's. Pulling the seat skin to replace is a PITA. Why would the scanner not show this though?

Ive seen this on a few cars in the shop. Depends on what scanner tool you are using from my understanding. Is the sensor under the seat skin? Just did a Toyota yesterday and it was plug in right under the seat. $40.00 part.

OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen this on a few cars in the shop. Depends on what scanner tool you are using from my understanding. Is the sensor under the seat skin? Just did a Toyota yesterday and it was plug in right under the seat. $40.00 part.

That's a good question! I guess I just assumed that it was a mat type like what is used in the BMW. I'll have to look into that, thanks!

I'll check the belts too, but it happens at start up, before the seat belts are put on... both key and keyless start-up.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Snap the passenger belt together and see if it stops red lighting you. You'll have the answer.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the airbag connector? I remember dropping the airbag when I installed the camera hardware, it was pretty easy to do as I remember.

ASars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well May not be the same but worth a shot. My C6 corvette had the same issue. It is a very common place issue on the C6 corvette. its the connectors under the seat. its so common on those cars to the point where chevy acknowledged it and they sell a "fix" which is a zip tie lol. literally just goes around the connector and securely reenforces the connection of the connector. May be with a try easiest solution is always a good way to start.

Had a similar issue with my Truck and the header/cooled functions of my drivers seat. Ran a zip tie and its been working great since. wasn't sure which connector was which on the truck so did em all.