Interesting traffic stop, 75 in a 40? I don't think so

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
Got pulled over today. We were leaving my son's soccer game and I turned right at a stop light and, with a straight road and no cars in front of me, I stepped on the gas hard but NOT to the floor. I was in 2nd gear when I did so.

I made it about 1000 ft (I guaged it on a map) when an oncoming cop saw me and then flipped on her lights. I pulled over and waited for her. We then went through the whole "do you have any idea how fast you were going?!" thing while she looked at me like I was a lunatic. I said "No. I turned and did step on it with the intent to coast up to the upcoming turn." Then she tells me she could tell I was "hauling" and turned on her radar, clocking me at 75 mph. I was a bit skeptical but I'm not going to argue radar. I did say I was surprised that a 6000 lb truck could accelerate that fast. She took my info and went back to her car.

When she returned to my window she said she reviewed the dash cam and I was clearly moving but she didn't feel like she could testify that the 75 mph speed was accurate!! She then said she could right me simply for excessive speed but chose instead to give me a warning! I was shocked because she didn't seem to happy with me at the onset. Maybe my son looked pitiful in the backseat; he said later he was worried. lol

So, how fast could I have really gotten up to assuming I turned at 10mph and then got on it in 2nd gear to 1000ft? It wasn't floored but we'll assume it was. Later on an onramp I replicated the perceived time I accelerated and it got up to 65. It's a 2014 SCREW.

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can only do 60 in second. And around 95 in third. I have gotten the slow down hand signals from people around town when I get on it even though I don't go over the speed limit. I guess the aftermarket exhaust makes it sound fast.:crazy:

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
I don't know if it shifted, I assume it did. I really wasn't paying that much attention, rapid acceleration is kind of the norm for me.

I do know my wife didn't get irritated with me, which happens when the pedal goes all the way down to the floor.

I'm grateful I wasn't in my GTR, that car can hit 100 in that space and I was approaching a nice banked chicane.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6.2 liter Raptors can accelerate from 0-60 in under 7 seconds. So you could have hit 60 mph in 140-200 feet at 500+ feet you could have been around 80. Not illogical to assume that you could have hit 75 mph in that distance. Of course the only way to know for sure what gear you were actually in would be in M mode. So, I doubt you were in second at the time.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course the only way to know for sure what gear you were actually in would be in M mode.

you don't have to be in manual mode to tell what gear you're in, just look at the dash after hitting +/- on the shifter, it'll show the gears at that point...

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you don't have to be in manual mode to tell what gear you're in, just look at the dash after hitting +/- on the shifter, it'll show the gears at that point...

true but I doubt he did so nor do I think he looked down until he was decelerating and saw the police officer. So, the second gear is not really believable.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably saw the combined speed on the display. Her speed + your speed = 75 mph.

O2ShootTheJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moving mode radar is pretty inaccurate and easy to get out of those tickets. She probably didn't even have it on or knew hers wasn't calibrated and just tried to get you to admit to speeding.

I had a cop pull me over before and do the same thing. I just told him I wasn't speeding, he got pissed, told me to slow down, and drove off.