Interest check - weld in nutserts for the deezee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problems with the current insert:

- it's not really designed to hold the weight of the tailgate the torque from the gate on the bolt stretches out the back of the nutsert in such a way it can't be retightened

- when it loosens up it moves as its in an oval hole, this wrecks the paint around the hole

- if you don't notice it's loose it can wreck the paint on the inside of the bed sides where the gate closes

If correctly welded in this should never need to be replaced as long as the ball is kept tight, I used red loctite when installing them last night.

The downside is it has to be welded in, you should be able to get that done at a local exhaust shop for a few bucks.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange, my ez shock slips over the cable stud on the bed side.
Mine is 5 years old, so far never had a problem.
Also to be honest I maybe open my tailgate 30 times a year if that. LOL

They stopped making them like that?
I know they changed the nut insert for the tailgate and many have problems with the new ones.
Did you get a universal one or Raptor (F150) specific.
Buying them on Amazon and eBay is not the same as going direct, even the Pop & Lock is tricky when ordering on Amazon, lots of knock offs!

Last edited:

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i'd be interested, my first one came loose damaging paint...it was a bitch to get out...second one is holding up ok but suspect the same issue here soon...

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's just you stated bed side rusting. I guess you mean tailgate, right.

When mine came loose the end of the cylinder caught on the inside of the bedside and took out a chunk of paint:

5cb202ee6b0ecd687563301983dc8d79.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

I ended up taking it off, they don't seem to hold up very well when off-roading, think the tailgate moves some. But then again, I took it off before I got bed stabilizers so I am sure that helps.

Do you have to sand down the paint on the tailgate for this to be welded to it?

Can you show a picture of yours of what it looks like after installed?