Inner tie-rod ends @ 60k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound right? Trucks been pretty much babied. Only 2 light duty off-road excursions. Just wondering if I should be watching out for something for cause. Can't see ford baja raptor team stopping every 20 minutes to replace the rod ends.

Everything else has been awesome.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
having any issues?

more information might help us try to figure out what you are talking about and what you want us to reply with.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm at 75K and I've given mine a beating on countless off-road trips. I haven't messed with them. What are your symptoms, and why do you suspect the tie rod ends?

D

Deleted member 12951

I’ve had the dealership tell me that my inner tie rods were bad, I asked to go to the service bay with the tech that came to that conclusion and I clearly pointed out to him that the steering rack was the issue not the tie rods. Dealership replaced the rack

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the dealership tell me that my inner tie rods were bad, I asked to go to the service bay with the tech that came to that conclusion and I clearly pointed out to him that the steering rack was the issue not the tie rods. Dealership replaced the rack

Oh oh, had 2 places tell me, kal tire and ford, but never bothered to check myself. Both said they can't do wheel alignment without replacing. That's way worse if its the rack. Guess I have to get under there. It's weird cause they did do a wheel alignment without a problem, and I would assume a bad rack would throw it off just the same.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Steering does feel tighter but could just be over thinking it.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Checked thread on testing for rack and I get absolutely zero slop without power.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9xpioehv4&t=661s

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 75K and I've given mine a beating on countless off-road trips. I haven't messed with them. What are your symptoms, and why do you suspect the tie rod ends?

FYI- Different vehicle...but we had to replace them on my wife’s 300C around 80K. I was rotating the tires and noticed a little unusual wear on the front even though I stay on top of PSI and alignments. After mounting the rear tires to the front, I could grip the wheel/tire and feel a slight click when I pushed and pulled on opposite sides of the assembly while it was still up on the stands. There also was a slight pulse that could be felt on the steering wheel when braking on the interstate at speed.

I do trust our Chrysler dealer and they said it was the tie rods, and the symptoms went away after replacing the tie rods and a new alignment. Some cars you can do just the ends and other cars need the whole tie rod with ends for some reason.

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 58k and I just had the tie rods warrantied a week ago. I was at a wheel shop almost a year ago at about 46k and they told me I was going to need new inner tie rods soon, then. When I brought it to the dealer a few weeks ago for an oil change they noticed it and ordered the parts

I daily drive the shit out of mine and the roads suck ass here in NY there are pot holes and crap everywhere so I figured that was it. I do take it on the beach during the season but that's it.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, bitter cold day out and I can hear it. This whole time I thought it was noisy shocks. I made a thread about it when I was at 30k miles, think it would be nice to have heated shock jacket. So the rack was worn or had slack almost from day 1. Embarrassing.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Good part is that it seems like there's no slop at all. But people have told me my tires did wear down quick and just figured it was from the weight. Might try and do the adjustment some time.

AL-Jazz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rack (which came with new inners) and the outers last night and was able to get a good alignment. The left front previously had significant play and there was definite issue internal to the rack. Just a note, the 2010 racks are on national backorder from Ford with no anticipated date to have them back in stock. I was able to get a complete reman unit in-stock locally same day for not much more than a pair of inners from the dealer. The outer tie rods had to come from the dealer though.