Indmar Marine announces new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Engine Nut

Reaction score
Too bad Correct Craft, Master craft, or Malibu aren't going to be using them. Looking at getting a wakeboard boat in the next couple years.

I expect you will see them in Malibu Boats next model year ... 2016 Models. Don't know about MasterCraft or Correct craft yet.

LD50

Reaction score
You'll never see them in a Mastercraft. They were bought by Penske who has their own marine engine division called Ilmor. I believe in 2012 you still had the option of Ilmor or Indmar but everything is Ilmor now. I guess there is the remote possibility that Ilmor could switch for the reason that some of the others are. I believe I read that Mercury marine is even getting away from the old Chevy blocks as well since they're cutting production but from what I read it sounded like they wer going out on their on and going to build their own motors.

Engine Nut

Reaction score
It is not a dry sump system. It uses a special marine-specific oil pan. Most marine engines are cooled by running lake water through the engine block. These engines have closed cooling and run propylene glycol through the block. The raw water side of the cooling system has a water flow sensor to warn if there is an interruption in cooling water. Some features that are new to marine like wide band air/fuel sensors, piston squirters, overhead cams etc. are old-hat to automotive.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say they run propylene glycol though the block . .
you do mean a solution of water & propylene glycol . . right?
Because, propylene glycol has a lower specific heat transfer than
water and it's even lower than ethylene glycol.
That would raise engine operating temperature 20* to 30* unless
there is a hellava big radiator to push more capacity to make up for the loss
of no or less water.
Given propylene glycol has a higher vapor point and can carry away heat at
a higher temperature, water can carry more heat per unit.
Not to mention that one can always raise the pressure on the system of water
to raise the boiling point. (1 Lb. increase = almost 3 degree raise in boiling point)
But, you probably know this already, but not everyone does.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stepside,
Right.
I spent my teenage winters on my friends fathers' boat. New ribs, flying bridge, deck, new engine, closed cooling system, were just a few of the many mods over the years...in addition to sanding the hull and bottom painting every spring.
After installing a new deck one winter, the next winter we removed it all to put in a new engine; the following year out came the deck again and we plumbed in a closed cooling system...ethylene glycol...through hull running 20 feet of 3/4 copper tubing along each side of the keel. The engine never got above 180 degrees..
Payoff?
After college whenever I stopped by my friend's house his father gave me free lobster!
Eddie

Engine Nut

Reaction score
of no or less water.
to raise the boiling point. (1 Lb. increase = almost 3 degree raise in boiling point)

Yes, it is a mixture. We use 50:50 with distilled water here at the factory but I think the supplier says you can go as high as 66% anti-freeze to 34% distilled water.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

of no or less water.

By the way, we don't use a radiator, we use a heat exchanger that takes the heat away from the coolant with whatever water the boat is running in. Pretty much an unlimited supply of cooling water!!

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a radiator is a heat exchanger and NO Where as Efficient as your setup!
Wow, using water to pass over the tubes of the hot propylene mixture is excellent.
The water's ability to remove a vast amount of heat compared to air . . awesome!
And, should an accident occur that spilled the mixture in the lake or sea . .
No Problem. Because Propylene Glycol is eco-friendly.
Well, "they" do put it in those soft baked
chocolate chip cookies:jester:
Thanks for the info :handshake: ~ :waytogo: