Identify This Part - Underside of Bed Box - Vibration Damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
Rear End.

Not sure how to really explain this but going over small bumps etc it seems to me as my box/ass end bounces more than it used too and at times it sounds like something is hitting the box giving the hollow box sound, anyone ever notice this or suggest what to maybe check out?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
maybe a blow rear shock?
Get in the bed and jump up and down to see if you can replicate the noise. How old is your truck? how many miles?

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a vibration damper which is a piece of cast iron mounted in rubber bushings. It's mounted above the drivers side frame rail between the rear tire and the bumper. I've read that the rubber mounts fail and the cast iron can flop and make noise, plus of course it no longer damps vibrations. Lay under the truck and see if it's still suspended in the mounts or loose.

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
Alright I'll take a look at that on wednesday when I'm off work, my truck is a 2010 with 66000km on it.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a vibration damper which is a piece of cast iron mounted in rubber bushings. It's mounted above the drivers side frame rail between the rear tire and the bumper. I've read that the rubber mounts fail and the cast iron can flop and make noise, plus of course it no longer damps vibrations. Lay under the truck and see if it's still suspended in the mounts or loose.

Mine did this. A couple of big zip ties and it hasn't happened since. Next time I have the bed off this thing is coming off!

GitErDunn

2010 6.2L SCAB
Reaction score
So if that becomes the source it can be removed without any problems occurring later on? As for the shocks I personally believe mine might be done but not overly sure, going to get a buddy on my days off to hop on the back and get it moving while I look and listen. If the shocks are done it would sound similar to the hollow bed sound or..?