Identify This Part - Underside of Bed Box - Vibration Damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
-35043642523.jpeg

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuned mass damper rattle- What?

My 2010 Raptor with 40k on it started getting a heavy rattle in it from the rear. It was really a thudding noise as I went over bumps, potholes, and off road.
I secured the spare tightly, and it persisted. I removed the spare and it persisted. Then I found this bolted to the top rear drivers side frame rail;
a7y7asuv.jpg
It's a Tuned Mass Damper, and that's a dime on it for size perspective.
It was flopping around and hitting the frame. The bolts are on top, and not easily accessed. I removed the drivers side bed bolts and loosened the passenger side bolts. I lifted up the bed and blocked it with wood. The two bolts holding it on are 13mm, and I had to use a 1/4 drive to break them loose because the 3/8 wouldn't fit in the gap.
Once removed, I found the two rubber grommets cracked almost all the way around.
emubasu4.jpg
japa7ypu.jpg
So I threw this piece of crap on my scale and;
tahyveje.jpg
14.5 pounds of steel flopping around making metal to metal contact.
I took the truck for a test drive and no more rattle. The total time to remove this POS, 45 minutes in my driveway.
I'm not really sure what this damper is supposed to do, but it won't be doing it on my Raptor any longer.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I took my shit off too cause some how one of the bolts holding it on fell off and was rattling around so I just cut the other nut off the bottom and spid it off i don't know what it really does either maybe some sort of resonance damper or something but it runs just as good without it haha

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm that's really interesting seems like we have a few of these dampers in the truck or different things but this one doesn't seem to make a difference on or off orator I just never noticed the difference it made cause it was so little.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Good find Aaron!!