I need a new Ford Raptor windshield - OEM or Aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My vote is use OEM Ford glass for the windshield... no question for the price difference. Side windows? back window? I might consider aftermarket. But unless the glass guys certify that the aftermarket glass is exactly the same as OEM ("made in the same factory" does not mean it's the same quality!), I wouldn't risk it for less than $100 difference.

ChadB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being in the car business I've seen my fair share of glass installs. We use aftermarket glass for all out used cars, and 90% of the time the glass is from the same manufacture, just with out the oem stamp. I've never seen an issue with it. For me, I would just spend the extra few bucks on oem, that way if there is any warranty issue later on, it doesn't stand out that it's been replaced.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used nothing but aftermarket glass on Jeeps and the Landcruiser without any problems but they aren't $50k trucks with huge windshield either. Personally I would go with the OEM glass and contact your insurance company and see if you can make a windshield claim that won't affect your premium.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I've ever used 'oem' replacement glass is when my 06 superduty had that special crap on top of the windshield. Other than that I've had no problems using aftermarket glass.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never been one to follow the pack so I went aftermarket :p

Actually I went that way for a few reasons:

-no F-150 logo. Remember I'm REALLY tall, so its kinda directly in my peripheral vision since I sit up rather high. With it gone more light is being let thru. Its a subtle thing, but for me personally the difference is obvious.

-the guarantee; the installer reiterated that if at any time, for life, if I find something I don't like, he'll come out and replace it with the OEM for only the additional cost of the OEM shield over what I've already paid for the aftermarket. He'll cover labor. Hard to argue with that.

-when it got here we talked about the differences and we both looked at it really carefully. I just can't tell any difference in clarity, consistency, color, thickness... they're the same shield.

PS: If you ever need to replace your windshiled and you elect to use a mobile service, do them the favor and make sure they understand the truck is "lifted". I had done so, and when the guys got out here they were VERY glad I had, since they had brought extra ladders. Without those ladders they couldn't have done the work.

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - for anyone that needs it.I had my W/S replaced today by Safelite due to a rock chip that spiderd quick within the last two days.I was asking about oem etc... and since it has the F150 logo I got an OEM replacement due to Ford having TM rights on the logo.I was in the shop while they were doing the install and noticed the New one comes with the mirror mount already installed.

Also when he removed the mirror he says something about the "rivots" and I inquire and he tells me that on Fords when you remove the R/V mirror that the rivots need tightened and by this it means smashing down the edges w/ a punch and hammer to tighten them and if you dont do this your mirror will be loose and wont stay "in position".

Also we saved the union decal by using a heat gun and Its not perfect but still presentable.

All together little under 2 hrs and $ 608 ( no Deductable ) and looks great.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might as well update too. So far so good! I'm not sure who supplies your installer with their glass RV, but the glass I ended up with is OEM glass, just not name branded so. And (I assume) because of that, I've had no problems with the rear view mirror mount. The guy who installed my glass didn't do any smashing down on any rivots and even after 350mi+ off road over some seriously rough washboarded terrain my mirror is as tight as the day it came from the factory.

And no Union decal for me either. That sucker came off within the first couple days of owning the truck, and they didn't try to put a new one on when the new glass went in.

And that price they charged you... over 2x what I would have paid if I went OEM? And the guy came to me and did it on my schedule? Geezus dude that's a lot of money and time invested into a windshield!