I need a new Ford Raptor windshield - OEM or Aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got hammered by a rock on a recent road trip and ended up with a 8" crack dead driver's side center just above the wiper, that is moving from south to north by about an inch a day. Time for a replacement.

I called a local well known well respected shop and scheduled the work for Thursday. I had the option of spending around $65 more for the Ford OEM windshield over the aftermarket alternative. There is cheaper aftermarket glass available, but this shop wont sell it since they warranty their work and materials against defect for life and the cheaper glass won't cut it.

The only difference between the two peices of glass are the "Carlite" stamp and the "F-150" logo above the rear view mirror. All other specs meet or exceed OEM (guy said its made by the same company, just not labeled for Ford). I kinda never liked the logo myself, so I figure on going with the aftermarket glass anyway and saving a few bucks in the process.

Any reason I should reconsider?

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much total for the Ford windshield Big J?

I'm like you, I got nailed hard and as a result I have a crack that grows an inch a month. I would have replaced it by now but just don't have time. So I'm thinking about trying one of those traveling installers. Anyhow, I plan on using Ford OEM just to keep it as original as possible....just hope it's cheaper than my old Harley edition wndshield.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would want to see the box that the aftermarket comes in to ensure it's actually what the guy says it is because sometimes the office changes things & the shop guys are the last to find out.
I dont have a lot of faith in aftermarket anything. A coworker had an aftermarket windshield installed and it was like a funhouse mirror with all sorts of distortion. She ended up having it replaced with a real OEM windshield.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Ray. Total for the Ford windshield would run around $340 after (on site) install and tax. The aftermarket glass will run around $275 total. They're coming to my office to do the work (like you I'm short on time to go to them).

My crack is growin crazy fast, and I'm sure in another week or so it will run the entire height of the windshield, and that's no good when twisting the frame around off road. Better to jump on it now and get 'er done, I figure.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good point Nv. I'll ask to see it.

But that's kinda why I mentioned this shop is well known and well respected. They do alot of the local dealership work, and almost all the insurance work in the area. Glowing reviews on Yelp, yada yada etc etc.

And with the warranty, I feel pretty good giving it a shot at least. If it sucks, you can bet theyll be pulling it back off in a quick minute.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
For the relatively small price difference, I think I would go with the Carlite. I have seen some of the cheap replacements and they are really bad and make it very difficult to drive without getting dizzy (not saying that is the case here).

Interesting article with the repair perspective. I had a "long crack" repaired on my Ranger and the repair didn't stop the crack from growing. I have no idea who made the repair kit.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Ray. Total for the Ford windshield would run around $340 after (on site) install and tax. The aftermarket glass will run around $275 total. They're coming to my office to do the work (like you I'm short on time to go to them).

My crack is growin crazy fast, and I'm sure in another week or so it will run the entire height of the windshield, and that's no good when twisting the frame around off road. Better to jump on it now and get 'er done, I figure.

That isn't a bad price, my replacement windshield for the Harely truck was 450.00.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you had windshield protection as part of your car insurance package you probably wouldn't be asking the question you'd just go with Carlite.

If' I'm replacing my windshield I'm going with the OEM. Better to be safe than sorry especially with the glass in front of your (and your wife's) face.

Last year Stoner's Raptor threw a stone into my windshield - made a nice chip/crack but I had Safelite come out right away and they fixed it so you kinardly tell it was there. I'm sure yours is too big to fix.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last year Stoner's Raptor threw a stone into my windshield - made a nice chip/crack but I had Safelite come out right away and they fixed it so you kinardly tell it was there. I'm sure yours is too big to fix.

How big/long was your crack when it was fixed?

So far is only about a foot long and growing at a slow rate.