I am ready for the flamming. I have a snow/ice driving question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
After washing the Raptor and cleaning the interior I backed the truck out of the garage for a quick errand and something was weird when I tried to turn while backing, it was like it did not want to go anywhere. I checked the E-Brake... nope.

Sat there for a second thinking what did I do while washing it and then noticed the yellow 4X4 light on the dash. Somehow I twisted the 4WD knob and on the hard surface the drive-line was binding. It certainly is noticeable when in 4X4 on the road!

Very typical when running 4X4 on hard surfaces... I have also noticed binding while making a sharp turn (or 180) on hard packed dirt as well. Did the same with my old Jeep's too.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now do the same thing with the rear, stay in 2WD, lock your rear diff, and go around a turn, you'll feel the same thing too. Normal.

Now hop on xbox later damnit.

Here we go again.

The raptor has open diffs.

Nothing locks all 4 wheels together.

especially with the torsen, it is limited slip, nothing locks all 4 together, the rears still rotated at different speeds unless you lock the axel.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Here we go again.

especially with the torsen, it is limited slip, nothing locks all 4 together, the rears still rotated at different speeds unless you lock the axel.

Which I explained if you lock the rear in 2wd, you'll feel it.

This isn't a G-wagon Mercedes where you can lock everything together, and I never said it was. :flipthebird:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here we go again.

The rear is open, until electrically locked.
The front was open until 2012, but that is not the problem.
If the transfer case simply connects the front drive shaft with engaging 'four wheel drive', it will rotate with the same rpm as the rear.
If there is a center differential the rpm of front and rear can differ.
On the Raptor, engaging 'four wheel drive' forces both drive shafts to turn synchronously; so ... making a turn ... something has to ... slide ... skip ... jump ...