I am ready for the flamming. I have a snow/ice driving question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, flame away. Here is my question. Over this last week we got hit with an inch of ice and 2 inches of snow on top of that. This doesn't happen in Middle Tennessee much, anyway my boys and some friends wanted to go sledding so we head off to a huge hill (road). Driving on a level road I am driving normal, but in order for me to get up this huge hill I put the truck in 4Hi, get up it just fine, the problem is when I went to turn in my buddies driveway on top of said hill the front tire hopped and skipped around almost to the point I couldn't get enough power to get into the driveway. What was I doing wrong? No I don't off road, other than going to a buddies fields where the kids play airsoft time to time. I just use Off Rode mode when it's muddy. I bet I get some good answers about my manhood. All I can say is it's my money!

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i've noticed that hopping as well when turning at full crank in 4H...have it on the Raptor and had it on the FX4...no clue honestly but curious to know what it is...

D

Deleted member 12951

Was the road surface into the driveway slick with ice/snow or clear free pavement?

In 4HI without any slip, it will bind and cause hopping. Any 4wd (Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, etc) when in gear will do that, not just Ford or even a raptor.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
If you're not on a very slippery surface or in mud, you'll get that. Nothing to worry about. Oh yeah, put that bitch back in 2WD and pedal to the floor, drift into his driveway, and you'd be fine too :crazy:

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was the road surface into the driveway slick with ice/snow or clear free pavement?

In 4HI without any slip, it will bind and cause hopping. Any 4wd (Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, etc) when in gear will do that, not just Ford or even a raptor.

No everything was snow/ice covered.

If you're not on a very slippery surface or in mud, you'll get that. Nothing to worry about. Oh yeah, put that bitch back in 2WD and pedal to the floor, drift into his driveway, and you'd be fine too :crazy:

Thats what I did, dropped it back in 2wd and gassed it.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Turn in your man cards...
When driving in 4wd all wheels turn the same speed. As you try to turn your front wheels need to turn at a different speed to compensate for the fact they take a different arch and one side travels farther than the other. So the hop happens as one side jumps to release pressure because of the travel distance. It looses grip in a turn and the rear just wants to push the front forward. This is normal behavior from the front end.. Thanks

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Turn in your man cards...
When driving in 4wd all wheels turn the same speed. As you try to turn your front wheels need to turn at a different speed to compensate for the fact they take a different arch and one side travels farther than the other. So the hop happens as one side jumps to release pressure because of the travel distance. It looses grip in a turn and the rear just wants to push the front forward. This is normal behavior from the front end.. Thanks

Now do the same thing with the rear, stay in 2WD, lock your rear diff, and go around a turn, you'll feel the same thing too. Normal.

Now hop on xbox later damnit.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I didn't know you guys were on xbox where's my invite. :flipthebird:
What games are you playing.

There is a GTA V thread... we are both xbox one, every other gay is PS4. GTA V, BF, and COD I've been dabbling on every now and then. List your info in the GTA V thread and then we can play, and I'll harass you for your ****** exhaust installation the whole time :specialed:

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't know you guys were on xbox where's my invite. :flipthebird:
What games are you playing.
We are one Xbox One, I'm not playing anything really right now but when I do I play GTA 5

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Now do the same thing with the rear, stay in 2WD, lock your rear diff, and go around a turn, you'll feel the same thing too. Normal.

Now hop on xbox later damnit.
Jimbo I'll try, it will be 10pm or later central time if I do.