How many windshield cracks can a Raptor get from a dump truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Called back again yesterday with no return call. I'll be calling several times today, after lunch I'll be asking for the owner and see if that helps.

Dv8tor: For the tailgate locks, those are the horizontal pins on each side of the back gate, correct? Definitely calling them out on it, just wanted to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

D

Deleted member 12951

Might want to mention how that driver lost the owner's money by losing his product outside the truck or how the customer got gypped on weight.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Man that's an excellent point. In hindsight I should have made him pull over or called State Police and got them to come write up an accident report.

Called again today, sort of was a **** to the secretary... she was only one in office, but gladly gave me this guy Jerry's cell. Give him a ring, claimed he's told his supervisor and will again. I asked him how long this will take to talk to him, it's annoying having to look through these cracks everyday. He said he knows what his supervisor will say, it's road hazard. I said it's definitely not that, I have pictures of all this gravel pouring out the back and the pictures show the tailgate was not latched. I have no issues sharing these pictures with the DOTD and Troop D, but figured I'd give ya'll the opportunity to fix it first. He said all he can do pass it on to his supervisor but definitely had a change of tune.

10min later I got a call back from him asking me for pictures and to send them to his phone. We shall see.

D

Deleted member 12951

Plan and simple, it is gross negligence on the drivers part, hence the company is responsible. Have a lawyer write up a letter to send to them, that should speed things along.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
100% agree, but paying for a lawyer sending a letter it'd be easier to pay the $100 deductible and get a new windshield. I know that's not the principle, but with building house it's just time I don't want to spend.

I offered higher resolution pictures if needed. I got another call back asking for me to email them. Call back 30min later to go get estimate at glass place in my city. Looking better now, thanks to everyone's help!

Tornitron

Reaction score
That really sucks. I hope you are able to get some form of restitution. I try to avoid any of these large trucks like the plague. Too many of them these days couldn't care less about the people they share the road with.
In hindsight, you should have called the police immediately so you could have at least gotten some kind of record of it. In one of your pictures it looks like the gravel is just pouring out of the back. That would definitely be a case of gross negligence for not properly securing their load.
Years ago, my family use to own a building supply business and lumber yard. We had a fleet of trucks, and if we ever caught a driver not properly securing their load, we'd fire them right on the spot. That isn't something you play around with, and if items are lost in transit due to negligence, it is basically like them reaching into your pocket.
Unfortunately, like someone else here mentioned, this carelessness isn't just limited to big commercial trucks. About 15 years ago, I was cruising along on the highway and came up behind pick-up with an unsecured full length wooden Adirondack chair in his bed. I am about 5 car lengths behind him, and the next thing I know, a gust of wind must hit it and the chair comes flying out of his bed directly at me as I am doing about 70 mph. Thankfully, I was in something sporty and just barely managed to pull into the other lane and around it as the chair hit the ground and smashed into pieces. The cars driving behind me broke off left and right like the parting of the Red Sea. If I had hit that thing at speed, I very likely would have died. Definitely one of the scariest experiences I've had in a vehicle.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Called back again yesterday with no return call. I'll be calling several times today, after lunch I'll be asking for the owner and see if that helps.

Dv8tor: For the tailgate locks, those are the horizontal pins on each side of the back gate, correct? Definitely calling them out on it, just wanted to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

Yessir. On that particular setup, the tailgate has the pins and the dump body has the locks( they look like fingers/hooks ) that flip down to hold the tailgate in place via electric solenoid or air cylinder. If it's old enough, if might be manual lever engagement. I know this because I'm responsible for exactly this if I don't make sure they're locked when I tow these big bastards. Even garbage trucks have tailgate locks. Most commercial vehicles that have to discharge their load have tail gate locks. Whether it be a walking floor discharge, tilt dump discharge, or pushed out by a blade, they have tail gate locks. Heck even tractor trailers have roll up door locks or swinging door locks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 266

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in NJ, lots of dump trucks are constantly overloaded or don't run the covers so rocks and dirt are always flying. My Mustang took a few hits before I started blowing by dump trucks, nowI do the same in Raptor. I stay the hell away from them; either get around them or just let them get ahead while.

Depending on your Insurance, they cover free crack repair or may even replace your entire window.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I believe between calling them out on the truck not latched and the DOTD/State Police threat woke them up. Place they suggested for an estimate was right down the street from where I'm living. Upon seeing them, it was obvious it was not only an estimate but an outside party to verify the damage. She counted the 2 cracks which were both running (and she said, can't be fixed) as well as 3 chips. I pointed out all the pitting from getting sprayed with gravel as well, but didn't seem concerned with it. At any rate, she faxed the info (minus my truck info which she didn't get) to them. I received a call apologizing for her not getting my vehicle info and gave it to him. Sounds like I may know something soon, hopefully today so I can schedule appointment to change it out.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like they're taking care of you. I don't know about Louisiana but Florida provided one free windshield a year because they use seashell in the roads.