How fast in 4 Wheel Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I'm no well experienced off roader, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when going over rough terrain at high speed it is common for one tire to leave the ground, as in you hit a rock. While that tire is in the air, you lose drive to the other tire unless you have a fully locking diff, or apparently the Wavetrac limited slip.

Not off the ground long enough to lose momentum.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not off the ground long enough to lose momentum.

Just FYI, my entire comment was based on personal inference from BigJ's write-up on the Wavetrac.

Sure you don't lose a noticeable amount momentum before the tire returns to the ground, but you still lose drive momentarily correct? Maybe I'm just speaking theoretically since I can't imagine myself in a situation where I would care if I lost drive for 1/8th of a second.

I'm just trying to think of a reason to have the locker engaged at high speed. Maybe there really isn't a compelling one. Ford obviously made a conscious decision to allow it to stay locked in ORM vs. not in ORM.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI, my entire comment was based on personal inference from BigJ's write-up on the Wavetrac.

Sure you don't lose a noticeable amount momentum before the tire returns to the ground, but you still lose drive momentarily correct? Maybe I'm just speaking theoretically since I can't imagine myself in a situation where I would care if I lost drive for 1/8th of a second.

I'm just trying to think of a reason to have the locker engaged at high speed. Maybe there really isn't a compelling one. Ford obviously made a conscious decision to allow it to stay locked in ORM vs. not in ORM.

Throttle steering/power sliding through corners... With traction control off, ORM and in 2wd, this 3 ton beast handles like a well behaved atv. Very predictible when sliding and counter steering around a corner. Ford, I mean SVT got it right.

-Greg

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Throttle steering/power sliding through corners... With traction control off, ORM and in 2wd, this 3 ton beast handles like a well behaved atv. Very predictible when sliding and counter steering around a corner. Ford, I mean SVT got it right.

-Greg

I don't know if ya played with ALL tha setting while at TRR but I found that the truck is stupid quik with my tires I have on, traction control off, 4 high shifting by locking out the gears I didn't want and basically using 2nd & 3rd 90% of the time, well on the second half of TRR's corse that is. HAhahaa. I mean if you want to get from point A to point B in the dirt as quik and controlled as possible, those setting WORK!

I have played and slid and it was fun but while at Texana I was in GET THERE mode. I pushed my truck harder than I have EVER pushed any truck or car on black top or dirt. Between the anti lock brakes slowing me while drifting sideways, stopping my fat ass in no time when I over cooked it, I have a bad tendancy to brake late in my truck and on my bikes, to 4 wheel drifts, you could feel the stability control trying to fight me on many occasion, it was just freaking amazing!

So in my opinion, if ya want to go fast and have an AMAZING amount of control at speed off road, Traction control off, 4 high, locker or not, I didn't use it. Use all the other combinations to have fun and play drift master and make dounuts. I guess I am just a speed freak. Now this is all within the 45 mph ground speed on GPS. HAhahaaaaaaaaaaa.

BDRAG