How fast in 4 Wheel Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apparently I need to read up on why or what the benefits of having the locking differential engaged at high speed. I understand the need for it for low speed slippery conditions, so I guess it provides value for high speed sandy conditions as well. I guess I need to be schooled by you Kali folks on when to use it.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If ORM is on diff and 4x4 is good all the way up to the governor. If not in ORM that is when the diff kicks out, but 4x4 still good all the way up to the governor. Mine is 100 mph. ORM has to be under 5mph to turn on. Hill Decent is only good for 2 - 20mph but will stay on up to 40 mph before it shuts off and you have to drop below 40 mph to reactivate it.

Diff unlocks at 12 mph in 2h, 25mph in 4H, 62 mph in 4L, and doesn't automatically unlock in ORM. I'm pretty sure you can lock the diff at any speed as long as you are under the limits depending on set up you run like ORM, 2h, 4h, 4L; but I would highly recommend shifting the diff in only when going straight and off the gas pedal.

Thx,

Now does the locker re-engage once you reduce your speed?

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Apparently I was the only one who respected the speed limit! I sure hope our
insurers at TRR don't browse FRF :)

That was the tire speed silly. I kept it to within 5% at GPS readings. HAhahaaaaaa. Silly. By the way, we did drive on some other local gravel and dirt roads while there. HAhaaaaaaaaaaa.

BDRAG

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently I need to read up on why or what the benefits of having the locking differential engaged at high speed. I understand the need for it for low speed slippery conditions, so I guess it provides value for high speed sandy conditions as well. I guess I need to be schooled by you Kali folks on when to use it.

I'm no well experienced off roader, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when going over rough terrain at high speed it is common for one tire to leave the ground, as in you hit a rock. While that tire is in the air, you lose drive to the other tire unless you have a fully locking diff, or apparently the Wavetrac limited slip.