how do i learn to run without breaking shit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
take it easy on red bull before heading out. also calculate in your head, can you afford to break stuff and bash things in every time you are out there? there is a fine line between enjoying your truck and having fun with it and plain massacre.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
As a long time offroader, just slow down. Take your time I ve always had good equipment but you can break the best!

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
pics

driving too fast, Ugh

Attachments

• image2 flop2.jpg
    image2 flop2.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 95

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you done any high speed off roading?

I learned by just driving normal, then slowly get faster and faster. In a Ford ranger 4 banger with no power and a welded diff i couldnt get in much trouble. The Raptor will make an average driver over confident until its too late.

Just slow down. Learn control in an open area, try steering with the rear end to the left and the right. Understand how the truck responds with different throttle and braking inputs.

Most importantly is pre run a route. Even if the route is short, take the time to learn what youll encounter.

Last edited:

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Like others have said, seat time is the no.1 way to learn. There are an infinite number of variables to contend with in the offroad world, and at high speed, your margin for error decreases exponentially. I've been racing, riding, and driving just about anything with wheels, on and off road, for over 25 years, and there's still more to learn and life lessons to be had.

Having an experienced co-pilot could help you tremendously. They can point out bad habits and teach you new technique. Being humble is key there. Going to raptor events would be a great opportunity for a teaching scenario.

With time, you can start to drive "ahead" of your truck, right now your behind it. Your terrain reading and reactions are way too late. Pre-running helps with that as well, but being able to read the terrain and course at a glance and react to it should become second nature. Start at 40-50% pace and work up to 70-80%. Unless your racing competitively, you should not be driving at 100% pace. This will leave you room for error to correct yourself out of a dangerous situation. Right now, you would driving over 100% of your limits.

The key here is ONLY you can decide what your limits are. Your 70% is going to be different than anyone else here, so don't let others make you think you are going to slow. Your 70% may be someone else's 40% and vise versa.

The raptor is a very capable vehicle in experienced hands, and while instilling confidence in novices, it still has limits, and certain characteristics that can bite you if your not prepared. Learning the limits of your skill and your vehicle's capabilities is a tricky one. Most learn the hard way, and usually end up shiny side down. But I believe that if you learn "your" skill limits first, you can then start to find your vehicle's limits. Sometimes you learn both at the same time, but the goal is to always be one step ahead of your vehicle.

OP
OP
FordraptorHero

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
does anyone run around phoenix? ill be going to school at mesa community college and will be in the area for a semester

D

Deleted member 12951

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ive had my truck for about 2 weeks, and in the time ive taken it off road on some trails in nevada. everytime i take it out i almost wreck. the first corner i hit i laid into the throttle too hard and almost went through a fence, high centered it on a 20 foot dirt mound and then today i went off the trail into a ditch about 40 mph. the advance trac said it needed service after that. then i jumped it on accident. after visually inspecting everything everything is still in great shape nothing wrong at all. these trucks are tough as shit, my old truck would have been totalled by now. im just looking for some helpful tips when offroading not to do these type of things again.

stop drinking and driving