How can I protect my tailgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Plan on hauling my ATV in the back with the tailgate down quite a bit. I would think rocks thrown up from the rear wheels might be a problem on that tailgate paint.

What about that 3M Clear Bra stuff they put on the front of some vehicles? You can hardly tell it's there on the ones I've seen.

Any other ideas?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think rocks picked up by the tires will ever reach the tailgate. Any rocks thrown will go towards the back of the truck not up.

That said, if you are concerned I'd go with the clear protective film otherwise magnetically attached vinyl (like a car bra) or cloth might do.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mad, I can't remember what color you're rig is? If its white, I would suggest being a little careful with the clear bra idea. I've seen it yellow over the years and on an otherwise bright white, it becomes fairly noticeable.

And it will dent. Its a soft material (relatively) and where a rock would normally chip the paint, it will dent the clear bra instead. The clear bra will also dent more easily than paint will chip; in other words, a rock that would have otherwise just bounced off the paint will instead leave a dimple in the clear bra. I've seen fairly rough clear bra'd front ends before. Makes it pretty noticeable too.

If it were me, I'd look into a mudflap solution before a clear bra. I'd rather the rocks not even get there, than worry about how to handle it once they do.

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the input. Sounds right about not letting the rocks get there in the first place. I didn't know that about the clear bras- that they are more prone to dimples. Looks like I'll be investing in a good pair of mudflaps.

Oh, and I'm getting my Raptor in the Blue Flame flavor.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Line-X it to match your Blue Flame if it's that big a concern...or mud flaps.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I haul my bike in the back w/ the tail gate down quite a bit and haven't had any rocks hit...even highspeed down some washes. Not sure it is going to be an issue that bumper takes all the punishment and it covers up half the gate anyways.

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I haul my bike in the back w/ the tail gate down quite a bit and haven't had any rocks hit...even highspeed down some washes. Not sure it is going to be an issue that bumper takes all the punishment and it covers up half the gate anyways.

Do you have mudflaps on your's, Stoner?

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had trucks most of my life and have been ridding motorcycles for the last 6-7 years. I have had no problems at all with rocks hitting my tail gate. also you might look into a sturdy yet inexpensive trailor for you ATV. that way there is no worries what so ever!!!!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have mudflaps on your's, Stoner?

Nope, he doesn't.

By the way, one possible solution is magentic material - something I'm looking at buying and trying for an upcoming trip through some brush. You can see how a Land Rover owner bought this material, cut it to fit and taped the edges. Of course this won't work on non-metallic surfaces.

There's a whole thread on protecting the paint here: Paint-Protection-Protecting-Your-Raptor-s-Paint-From-Pinstriping

IMG_4133.jpg

Raptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The magnetic option looks like a good idea as long as you clean the paint first. I have seen a lot of people tear up thier paint off-roading. What a simple solution! I love it!