Hot Smell Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't find anything by searching, sorry if I missed it. Here's my question. Came to Gatlinburg on vacation again this year. When I go up the mountain and park at my cabin I can smell something hot. First I checked transmission temp, it is always 197 - 200. Cannot find where it is coming from. Did the same thing last year, get home nothing. Ford found nothing. I am not being aggressive with the throttle or brake. It is a 2014 with 18500 miles. Anybody else had something like this or any thoughts or concerns? The only thing I can think of is the catcylic converter is hotter than normal with extra gas and low air flow. Thanks

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What kind of 'hot' smell? Oil? Antifreeze?

I know when I've been around mud or in heavy grass, I will get the occasional 'burning' smell of whatever might have been stuck to the exhaust.......

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't find anything by searching, sorry if I missed it. Here's my question. Came to Gatlinburg on vacation again this year. When I go up the mountain and park at my cabin I can smell something hot. First I checked transmission temp, it is always 197 - 200. Cannot find where it is coming from. Did the same thing last year, get home nothing. Ford found nothing...

Hi adeerchaser,

Since this has happened again, it might be a good idea to return to your dealership for diagnosis. Additionally, I'll loop in your regional customer service manager (CSM) and request that they give you a call. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get this into the hands of your CSM.

Crystal

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first got my 2011, I interrupted a spirited drive thru some mountain roads due to a hot smell. I was sure something was laying on the exhaust manifold or something. It was coming from the drivers side engine compartment. No smoke and never found anything. In the following months of forum participation I determined it must have been the power steering getting too hot and the stock plastic resivoir giving off the smell of something too hot, because it was too hot.

OP
OP
adeerchaser

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a antifreeze or oil smell, almost like hot brakes. I really took note tonight, seems stronger from back, under bed of truck. Was not on brakes, so not that.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Thank You Crystal, sent you a PM. James

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a antifreeze or oil smell, almost like hot brakes. I really took note tonight, seems stronger from back, under bed of truck. Was not on brakes, so not that.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Thank You Crystal, sent you a PM. James

Got it, James; thanks for reaching out!

Crystal