Help me out with some ??? about my next mod. SVC tune or Lowrance external antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like the title says, I need a little help. I'm torn between the two. Much like everyone else here, my truck is 90% daily driver. My 10% off road isn't BJ Baldwin but I do like to push it for a truck with stock 2.5s

Look, let's be real here. For as much as we all say "wow I got 16mpg on my 280 mile round trip" we didn't buy this truck for its MPG. I'm running 37 inch Nittos and no exhaust. I keep a fulling stocked alpha 1 bed rack in my bed. As long as I keep my MPG above 11, I'm happy. I know my trucks not supercharged...but damn does it feel sluggish sometimes. I want to unleash the best. When I hit the pedal now, it lags then could do a better job shifting. Am I expecting a sports car like my GFs Subaru? No. But my old 2500HD had more giddy-up then this. Will the SVC tune help me out and not reduce mp MPG below 11?

So I'm a member of Raptor Expeditions. Been on one run with many more to go. So on my inaugural run, my Elite 5m gold kept losing signal. Call it coincidence or not but everything time I stopped for longer then a minute or two, it would lose signal. Even driving with no obstructions in the middle of the desert, I would occasionally lose signal and then it would pick it up a few(sometmes 10) minutes later. And if we are in the desert, that 10 mins without a GPS can get you in some real trouble. I've already drilled a hole in the roof to run my NMO mount for my Icom so that doesn't scare me, I'd do it again for the Lowrance external antenna.

Can I plasti dip the antenna black? Are you running the point 1 or the point 1 Baja? Any difference? Has anyone experience their lowrance losing signal more then occasionally?(once or twice is expected and probably normal)

I understand the SVC tune is only 1 tune. And 5 star comes with multiple. I only run 91 octane(highest I can get in Hellafornia) Like I said earlier I run heavy 37 Nittos, no exhaust, and 2 spares, a floor jack, a gas can, and a tool box in my bed rack at all times. Will the SVC make the ride more noticeable? I changed my air filter because everyone said the K&N filter was vastly superior to the stock....and I haven't noticed shit!!! I don't want that to happen with the SVC tune.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes I know it's my truck and I'm gonna do as I please, but I'm just asking for your two cents. Price isn't the issue. Please speak from experience or what you would do. Thanks fellas.

slowest member of WCPR

970Co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the power concern is lack of torque which as stated above would be a direct result of not having exhaust. My drag car even has exhaust.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I've heard that before about losing power with no exhaust. Why is that? Lack of back pressure effects the motor?

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had a "painted" antenna on my roof for my Lowrance GPS since day one......no problems with losing signal, or any problems what so ever, in the Raptor or our race car.

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

970Co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a turn down help?

slowest member of WCPR

Sorry your thread is completely off subject.

You want a muffler with a Stainless Steel Perforated core with a properly sized canister and true sizing in and out. Your high end sports cars use this type of muffler why not you? If you insist on dumping this under the truck go ahead, but let me assure you, it's well worth the money/effort to run a tailpipe to the side just before the rear tire, don't breath that poison! You will also gain a pretty substantial throttle response and mpg.

If your exhaust is off before the resonator back, be concerned of breaking the remainder of your exhaust. I understand having to do mods piece by piece. Looks like you have $600 budget. Consider one of the many used cat backs on the forum.