Has Anyone Cured the Single Front End Pop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent an hour trying to search this issue and I know it has been covered before. Cant remember if anyone has solved the problem that is not associated with FWD not fully disengaged.
I have noticed something pops once every now and then when turning out of my driveway. There is only a single pop and sounds more like up front.
However, I only noticed this after I installed my Deavers +2's. The rear shackles are installed correctly as per the instructions and other posts on here.
More of an annoyance than anything.
I have had it up on my lift many times and everything appears normal and tight. 2014 with 6K miles.

I had this same issue and am just getting my truck back this afternoon after having taken it in to the dealership to get looked at. I got a call today and was told that the components from inside were loose. I know exatly what you are talking about and had the exact same issue up to the point where i was driving one morning on my way to work and once i hit a bump or 50mph the whole truck (front end) would shake voilently.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

I am also having this same issue. Only happens occasionally, on the left side and only happens when backing up after the truck has sat for a while.

I had the same exact issue as the original poster, and issue got worse to the point where I couldnt hit 50mph or once I would hit a small bump in the road and the truck would shake violently. internal components were loose, according to dealer. once I get my truck back this afternoon I willl make sure to post on here exactly what the issue was and what they did to fix.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KaiserM715 @HAP
I picked up my truck yesterday and spoke with my Rep. there at the ford dealership. The issue that you guys are concerned about and that I had to take my truck in for was simply that the Lower Control Arm was loose, they torqued the bolts back to what they should be at and the issue was fixed. I did have to pay $166 (Labor Fee) so my advice to you guys would be to find out what the torque specs are for those bolts and then to it yourself if you are able to so that you can avoid having to pay for someone to do it.

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow Up and Fix

So here is what I found my case to be.
After installing my Deavers +2, the front spring bolts are installed with the heads outboard making it hard to torque the nuts properly. I made my own right angle torque adaptor and found that the front bolts were not as tight as I thought. After properly torqueing the nut to 256 ft lbs, the problem appears to be resolved.
FYI, I bought a 27mm striking wrench off of Ebay for $12.00 and bought a 3/4" drive socket from Lowes for $10.00 to get the square drive end from it.
I also found that the rear LCA arm bolts needed a bit more torque as well.
Case closed.
R,
HAP
IMAG3904_zpsie8hte4u.jpg
IMAG3905_zpsj80zjicf.jpg

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I am also having this same issue. Only happens occasionally, on the left side and only happens when backing up after the truck has sat for a while.

@KaiserM715 @HAP
I picked up my truck yesterday and spoke with my Rep. there at the ford dealership. The issue that you guys are concerned about and that I had to take my truck in for was simply that the Lower Control Arm was loose, they torqued the bolts back to what they should be at and the issue was fixed. I did have to pay $166 (Labor Fee) so my advice to you guys would be to find out what the torque specs are for those bolts and then to it yourself if you are able to so that you can avoid having to pay for someone to do it.
This was my issue exactly. Took it to the shop that did the alignment and asked them to check the bolts. He says "he put a wrench on it and they are tight." I should have specified a torque wrench. Two of my LCA bolts backed out at RTF. Fixed it there with the help of @TMX Engineer. Took it back to the shop to get the alignment fixed and gave them the factory torque for the LCA bolts (258 ft-lbs) "That is a LOT of torque....". It hasn't popped since Jason and I fixed it. My mistake is not providing the torque value to them and asking them to check it the first time.

I think a lot of shops aren't familiar with the torque needed or don't take the time to look it up / put a torque wrench on it. Unless you have a lift, it is very difficult to get a torque wrench on if you have a camber / caster kit (have to tighten the head of the bolt). The only solution to tighten it at home is to hammer on it with an impact.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone describe this popping/clunk noise??? I was only hearing it when backing into my driveway and I thought I was rubbing the liners but now it does it when I'm going straight back and even when going forward.

I was at TRR as well and things started getting noisier since. I need to check my LCA I guess, I just don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 258lb. I might need to get one.