Half way through front camera / lockpick air install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camera Source front camera and lockpick air install

Camera Source kit.

Camera in. Wire through grommet by gas pedal. No time to tear dash apart today.

Can't wait to stream Netflix wirelessly with latest lockpick!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... finished that task. Can't say the instructions are very useful with regards to the wiring harness. Still some issues activating front camera from steering wheel (doesn't work)... also little blue lines that represent position of front wheels aren't there. Air play of Netflix works. Some navigation issues. I'll give this a C+ until I can get deeper into understanding what is and isn't going on.

OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright... the only issues I have are that I cannot toggle between cameras using the steering wheel controls as apparently I should be able to - long press of media button brings up rear camera and you can't go any further than that. Also you can only get to the menus etc via the remote - not the steering wheel controls.

Lastly (as mentioned earlier) the little blue lines showing the front wheel angle are missing. That may have been an assumption on my part as its the camera source front camera and not the stock ford unit.

Super disappointed that I saw no mention of abandoning a USB cable behind dash for updates. For some reason I figured this could be achieved wirelessly. A whOle bunch of dismantling will be required to add that cable in. *sigh*

That is all.

OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay - I am now REALLY good at taking apart the dashboard to get at the head unit. Like others have said you don't need to take it apart as per the instructions- much easier ways to do it. Pulled the GPS feed from the lockpick and replaced the factory feed. That solved the GPS issue. Installed a permanent USB cable to the glove box to update lockpick firmware if need be in the future.

Only pending issues are lack of steering wheel controls and the missing blue steering lines on the front camera.

Assume (hope?) I will get some help from Coastal on Monday re those issues.

On the positive, front camera turns on at under 5mph (handy). DVD in motion works. Nav now appears to work along with input in motion. Netflix etc all works.

Almost there.

Last edited: