GEN 1 Weird transmission down shift problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Looney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem only seems to happen about once a month.

But every now and then when I floor it to go around a car or something nothing happens it doesn't downshift and it doesn't accelerate. Then when I let off the gas pedal it then downshifts and bucks real hard and then shifts again back to where it was and then it's fine again and drives perfectly for about another month. And it only does it once..

And every time it does this it scares the cap out of me with the potential of not being able to get out of the way of something..

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be..
I have no clue...Could it be a throttle problem, electrical problem, transmission problem, I can't figure it out and I can't get it to duplicate. It does it very rarely..

OP
OP
L

Looney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I doesn't matter what speed I'm going. It's happened at 30, 40, and 70 mph.. the only thing that's related is me pushing the gas pedal to the floor.. Also it's the 6 speed trans

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

I'll look into it thanks..

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely check the bulkhead connector for transmission fluid. If there is any evidence of that I would say that is your cause for poor shifting for sure.

OP
OP
L

Looney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks for the comments guys... I took it to the dealership and they said my truck is not part of the recall and I've been under the truck and there is no evidence of any fluid leaks anywhere...

You guys got any other ideas...

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I floor it to go around a car or something nothing happens

Sounds electronic (fly-by-wire throttle so "accelerator pedal position sensor" but just a guess given your description)...and maybe good enough reason to invest in a tune or Pedal Commander at the same time?

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue at 70k where when I'd break hard to a stop. My transmission would sit in 3rd gear, the motor would rev on its own after I stopped and then it would slam into first.

Long story short I had to dish out the cash for a new transmission and transfer case.

This all started when my Ford dealer told me everything was ok at 20k miles when I could have sworn it was driving odd. They said they fixed it, handed it back and sent me away. Well they didn't, I went back they held it a few more months and this time decided to check the transmission. It had no seal and no fluid it had BEEN running dry and all they did was trick the computer into thinking everything was fine.

I don't trust dealerships at all. I'd say the only way to be sure there's fluid is to either get it changed or check it yourself.

Best of luck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Another option I'd throw your way is to reset the learning curve for the computer. Unplug the batter for like 10 minutes or so and it should reset the computer system and make it re-learn how you drive. And the first few hundred miles to everything right, don't floor it and pull back, stop at stop signs no rolling stops, etc. ,etc. ,etc.

Again, best of luck! I know that struggle all too well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd bump this thread instead of creating a new one...
I had the same issue as described. No acceleration, even when flooring it. (Transmission "safe mode"?). I could recreate the problem with a fast stop, then accelerate, or try to. Also, I'd stop at a red light and felt a bump like I was hit from behind. The last time, I noticed it was in 2nd gear, then shifted down to 1st with the bump.
I called the dealer where I had my transmission flushed, (hint, hint), but couldn't get it in the shop for a couple of weeks. Holiday weekend.
I checked the codes but saw nothing. I even disconnected my Pedal Commander in case that was the problem.
Thanks to the FRF suggestions, I decided to look at the transmission fluid level, but what a pain. So I got the tools ready and warmed it up, but said screw it, I'll take it to a local transmission shop, they can do it quicker than me.
When they got it on the lift, the service tech had to check the dip-stick 3 times...COMPLETELY DRY.
After THREE QUARTS of transmission fluid, my truck was running normal again. There were no leaks, so the only reason it was low was due to the transmission flush.
Now I'm worried about the damage that may have been done with the level so low. I have an extended warranty, so I'm going to have them pull the pan and check for metal. Any additional suggestions are welcome.
I went ahead and ordered the B&M transmission pan and dip stick. Pricey, but I wish I had them earlier.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump...

Would anyone know if running 3 quarts low on transmission fluid will damage the transmission? I want to know before I see the Ford dealer who shorted the fluid tomorrow. I probably put on 1,000 miles with it that low.

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three quarts could cause some damage depending on how you where driving during it being low. If you where easy on it. Just around town kinda driving you'll prolly be okay. I regularly see trucks come into the shop (be it they are GM's not ford's) very low on fluid, dry dip stick add 2-3 liters before you get a reading and I'd say 95% of them. Once Filled to the correct lvl and there's no problems. You get the odd one where the guy was lead footing it around, towing ect and I have seen torque converter damage. Occasional forward clutch damage. But Its rare from what I have seen

Last edited: