Gen 1 used prices going back up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
word. i dont believe you can get more than book for it either but thats just me.
you have over 30+ years experience with it so you likely know more about it than i do.

good luck to ya sir.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gas prices below $2 a gallon will help keep Gen 1 vaules up. IMO the only downside to an OG Raptor is 12 MPG. If you can fill it up for $1.75 a gallon instead of $3.50 a gallon though- who really cares if it only gets 12 MPG?

Low fuel prices won't help the Jen 2 values either- around here premium is $0.40 gallon more expensive than 87. Even if you can pull down 17 MPGs in a Jennifer, 400 miles will cost you $50 in fuel if you insist on running premium. The Gen 1 burning 87 will cost you $58 for the same 400 miles at 12MPG. if you can average 14 MPG, it's a wash.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
word. i dont believe you can get more than book for it either but thats just me.
you have over 30+ years experience with it so you likely know more about it than i do.

good luck to ya sir.

I'm not picking on you bud. It's all about where you market it. If I just dumped it at a dealer or put it on my local Craigslist, then yes, I'd get market value.

However, if I put it on racedezert, racing junk, this forum, the 'other' forum, etc. I'm appealing to folks that want this kind of thing and appreciate the money and time it takes to build one of this caliber - that would net a sale for more than just blue book.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Gas prices below $2 a gallon will help keep Gen 1 vaules up. IMO the only downside to an OG Raptor is 12 MPG. If you can fill it up for $1.75 a gallon instead of $3.50 a gallon though- who really cares if it only gets 12 MPG?

Low fuel prices won't help the Jen 2 values either- around here premium is $0.40 gallon more expensive than 87. Even if you can pull down 17 MPGs in a Jennifer, 400 miles will cost you $50 in fuel if you insist on running premium. The Gen 1 burning 87 will cost you $58 for the same 400 miles at 12MPG. if you can average 14 MPG, it's a wash.

completely agree. If gas jumps back to 4$ a gallon then I'm ******. But that's an external factor not an intrinsic value factor. Good thing I have zero plans to sell it, it was paid off back in 2011.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For 60 grand I am buying a new Power Wagon with zero miles and a factory warranty

ditto for a Gen 2 Raptor at 55 grand.

You modify cars, and evidently get back what you put into them. I modified cars for a little while only to find it a losing proposition something I will never do again. It is not an investment generally but a losing proposition.

Like has been said you find someone to give you even 30-40 grand for it then post back here. That to me would be a stretch for what you have.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure they ever actually went down either. What I do know at least around here is they are demanding a premium yet. Even the moderate to higher mileage ones are up there. If you could find a low mileage one, you'd probably pay close to what it was when it rolled off the line.

Heck I'm still looking off and on for a second gen1 but man there are no bargains! Let's face it, ours are one of a kind and will likely become one of those vehicles that enthusiasts will want to own 20, 30, 40 years from now. They just did it right with the one and only SVT Raptor!

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the Gen 1 SVT Raptor is a special truck, not many made mine is one of a thousand made in Flame blue metallic. Special truck indeed arguably the best truck Ford has ever produced.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For 60 grand I am buying a new Power Wagon with zero miles and a factory warranty

ditto for a Gen 2 Raptor at 55 grand.

You modify cars, and evidently get back what you put into them. I modified cars for a little while only to find it a losing proposition something I will never do again. It is not an investment generally but a losing proposition.

Like has been said you find someone to give you even 30-40 grand for it then post back here. That to me would be a stretch for what you have.

I never said I would get back what I put in and I never said it was an investment. I said I could get more than blue book (ie a stock one).

Literally no-one has picked up a gen2 for 55k.

I'm not trying to sell the truck to you. I'm saying I know what they go for to the right people, and it isn't just the 'one' guy if I happen to get lucky.

examples of guys who don't know their mods are worthless:

2008 = 75k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | SEMA F150 Luxury Prerunner

04-08 style (doesn't say) = 100k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | 4 Door Ford Pre-Runner

1971 = 110k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Ford F-150 PreRunner

81 bronco = 70k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Custom 4 wheel drive 4 passenger Bronco

a Ranger = 30k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | PreRunner/ Race Truck for Sale

99 ranger = 27.9k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Clean Caged 3 Seater Ranger PreRunner

silverado = 69k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Pre-Runner

2015 tacoma = 58k

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | 2015 Tacoma 4x4 linked/caged

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the Gen 1 SVT Raptor is a special truck, not many made mine is one of a thousand made in Flame blue metallic. Special truck indeed arguably the best truck Ford has ever produced.

It's certainly up there. Like I've said a few times. It's just better than the sum of its parts. Awesome truck at a reasonable price. Not the 70-80k people are paying now. Mine was 46K loaded!

Another vehicle I would say is similar is the old Broncos. My one family '68 was and is the original beast! Anyone who has driven those early Broncos knows what I'm talking about. Limited slip rear and front, strong solid axles, good v8 motor and amazing reliability. The best stock 4x4 ever built in my mind! Our SVT Raptor is the best stock high speed off-road best ever built!

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never said I would get back what I put in and I never said it was an investment. I said I could get more than blue book (ie a stock one).

Literally no-one has picked up a gen2 for 55k.

I'm not trying to sell the truck to you. I'm saying I know what they go for to the right people, and it isn't just the 'one' guy if I happen to get lucky.

examples of guys who don't know their mods are worthless:

2008 = 75k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | SEMA F150 Luxury Prerunner

04-08 style (doesn't say) = 100k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | 4 Door Ford Pre-Runner

1971 = 110k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Ford F-150 PreRunner

81 bronco = 70k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Custom 4 wheel drive 4 passenger Bronco

a Ranger = 30k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | PreRunner/ Race Truck for Sale

99 ranger = 27.9k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Clean Caged 3 Seater Ranger PreRunner

silverado = 69k obo

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | Pre-Runner

2015 tacoma = 58k

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | 2015 Tacoma 4x4 linked/caged

post your truck up for a comparison lol.
ive used race-dezert before too. the price thats listed is not the price they always sell for.

i do however see your point of view, once it breaks a certain threshold of modification you can sell your vehicle as a specialized rig and ask whatever price you want. its not a financially intelligent move because you will be making less than half of what you invested in parts alone. but i guess you can technically sell it for more than what it currently books out for.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
post your truck up for a comparison lol.
ive used race-dezert before too. the price thats listed is not the price they always sell for.

i do however see your point of view, once it breaks a certain threshold of modification you can sell your vehicle as a specialized rig and ask whatever price you want. its not a financially intelligent move because you will be making less than half of what you invested in parts alone. but i guess you can technically sell it for more than what it currently books out for.

called out for emphasis:

i do however see your point of view, once it breaks a certain threshold of modification you can sell your vehicle as a specialized rig

I never said it was intelligent.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f193/hughs-scab-build-28418/

Done at KHC:

Front----
Icon 3.0 coilover / Icon 3.0 bypass both with remote resi and adjusters
Icon billet Upper Control Arms
RPG Tierods
Outlaw Spindle Gussets
Camburg Lower Control Arms w/dual shock mount
KHC Lower Control Arm Pocket Re enforcement Kit
4.88 Gears

Rear----