Which gear set, 4.56, or 4.88?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstennes

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time here, I'm running 37's and I'm going to swap gears, I'd like to go 4.88, but I plan on installing a Whipple blower here in the next little bit. I have been reading the 4.88 is the best route, but it has decreased teeth size so it won't be as strong as a 4.56 gear set, being that I plan on installing the Whipple, will the increased power break the gear set? I do allot of adventure runs, as well as just heading out exploring, the truck gets about 50/50 on and off road, my concern is breaking when I least need it to, stranding us, for the long walk home.
Thanks in advance.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time here, I'm running 37's and I'm going to swap gears, I'd like to go 4.88, but I plan on installing a Whipple blower here in the next little bit. I have been reading the 4.88 is the best route, but it has decreased teeth size so it won't be as strong as a 4.56 gear set, being that I plan on installing the Whipple, will the increased power break the gear set? I do allot of adventure runs, as well as just heading out exploring, the truck gets about 50/50 on and off road, my concern is breaking when I least need it to, stranding us, for the long walk home.
Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't mess with it. I've never had good luck with aftermarket gears. Once you have the whipple, you won't need them anyway.

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 4.56's in my truck with 37's and now its about 85% offroad 15% onroad.

Although I did the 4.56's when I was planing on keeping 35's. If I was to do it again and stick with 37's I would do 4.88's probably.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 4.88s and I love 'em. Some of the 37" offerings are pretty heavy, the extra gear really helps.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the 4.88 route, im running BFGoodrich Baja T/A 37" haven't installed the gears yet but from what im told it is a better route to end up going.

OP
OP
M

mstennes

Reaction score
I went the 4.88 route, im running BFGoodrich Baja T/A 37" haven't installed the gears yet but from what im told it is a better route to end up going.
That's what I'm running 37x12.50x18 Mud Terrain BFG, my concern is breaking a gear set though with the increased power and traction these get. I've thought about not changing gears and using the increased power, but even with that, I'm still below the meat of the power and would still have to build up revs to get where I need it, plus lower gears would allow less throttle movement with greater results. For gears I have had great luck with Yukon Gears, were running them in some hi horsepower cars that have not broke them yet.

lobird91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running 37/12.50/17 BFG KO2s and with the Roush blower I certainly don't feel like I need more gear.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Yukon's in my 03 f150 for 60k miles then sold it. Not a problem ever. Expensive to install tho. Geez.

Houston Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on regearing after raptoberfest. I have no experience with this at all. I have a 5.4 Raptor, and was considering going with 4.88s, but I've just found out that I could go with 5.13s. Both are Yukon gears, 5.13s are actually cheaper. Install should cost the same. Any reason I shouldn't go with the 5.13s?