Gas gauge - digital vs analog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RaptorEnthusiast

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for chiming in. Makes sense. After thinking about the 40 miles to empty scenario, everything seems to be consistent.

So regarding the fuel pump using the fuel to cool off, is filling up with 3-4 gallons left too low to hurt the fuel pump, thus needing a replacement sooner than needed?

I'm just asking as I always fill up at Costco and I do it in 2 week cycles.

Thanks

David

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

@raptorEnhusiast, run a cheap experiment. Take that tune off, return the truck to the factory tune, and then run it for a couple fill-ups to see if the two fuel indicators agree.

IF I'm right that the digital readout is calculated by the ECM, it's based on engine size, fuel tank size, ECM-recorded driving habits, elevation above sea level (air density) - everything the sensors send to the ECM. Sounds impressive, but it's calculated based on the ECM's software. If you want to know miles-to-empty, that's good info. BUT if you want to know how much fuel in gallons is in your tank, the float sensor measures that directly.

Well I would personally prefer the "miles to empty" to be reliable. And in my experiences the miles to empty has been pretty "safe" to go by.