Future Raptor Engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind a turbo motor. My first Raptor will be in a couple years when my wife finally graduates Pharmacy school and I wouldnt mind the V6 turbo motor. There is A LOT of mods you can do to a turbo'ed motor that you cant do with a NA motor. If you want to get some real power you have to turbo or supercharge a NA motor and go from there (unless you pull the motor and do some hella expensive work or replace it all together). If you have a turbo from the factory you have a bunch of options from the beginning that you dont have with a NA motor until its turbo'ed or supercharged. Putting a turbo or supercharger on a factory NA motor is a lot of cash. You can get more power out of a factory turbo motor than a NA motor for a lot less money since you dont have to make the initial investment on a turbo or supercharger. I own a couple v8 vehicles right now and a turbo'ed subaru and the power that comes with a turbo is addicting. Modding a turbo vehicle is addicting. Its a different kind of power. Boost is addicting.

Yeah the Raptor is a big bad truck that everyone thinks needs a v8 but if it comes with a v6 turbo the v8 guys are going to be left in the dust, its as simple as that.

I, for one, welcome a v6 turbo with open arms.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who let the wannabe raptor owner in here.. ??? :specialed:

The issue with a v6 Eco Boost is long term reliability. Cranking up boost on a turbo equals faster wear. And comparing it to a scooby is funny as you need much larger HP gains in a 6K Lbs truck to see real gains.

Only way I can see a new raptor is with a smaller v8 and a supercharger or turbo setup. TT 5.0L would be sweet but unless that is what gets put in the new top tier mustang it will not happen.

But if they do not have a TT 5.0L you can be sure there will be a SC 5.0L making tons of power and TQ. Long as they have a strong enough block that same engine could be dropped in the Raptor as it is already setup for the 5.0l engine. That would allow for a quick install of a whipple upgrade and IC and huge amounts of power for half what it costs now for a whipple kit and the motor will already have forged internals.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who let the wannabe raptor owner in here.. ??? :specialed:

The issue with a v6 Eco Boost is long term reliability. Cranking up boost on a turbo equals faster wear. And comparing it to a scooby is funny as you need much larger HP gains in a 6K Lbs truck to see real gains.

Only way I can see a new raptor is with a smaller v8 and a supercharger or turbo setup. TT 5.0L would be sweet but unless that is what gets put in the new top tier mustang it will not happen.

But if they do not have a TT 5.0L you can be sure there will be a SC 5.0L making tons of power and TQ. Long as they have a strong enough block that same engine could be dropped in the Raptor as it is already setup for the 5.0l engine. That would allow for a quick install of a whipple upgrade and IC and huge amounts of power for half what it costs now for a whipple kit and the motor will already have forged internals.

I could afford a Raptor right now, almost ordered a 2014 but the wife and I decided to hold off, pay her student loans off, then buy a Raptor in full in the next couple years. I also want to see what the new Raptor will be so I can jump on it instead. Being financially responsible AND getting the new Raptor is a win win.

Anyways, I honestly dont get the circle jerk that surrounds the v8. Why does it HAVE to be a v8? So it drinks more fuel? There is no replacement for displacement? Yank. A properly boosted v6 can do everything a NA v8 can do plus more. Bimmer went from their legendary I6 in their M3 to a big bad v8 then decided the V8 wasnt cutting it and guess what? Back to a I6 but now TT. I have a close family member that owned both the I6 and V8 M3 and yes, the V8 was more fun to drive and incredibly beastly but I bet the new TT I6 is even more fun to drive.

With a boosted v6 you get fuel economy AND power. With a v8 you get power and thats it. A boosted v6 will put out just as much power as the V8 but will save your wallet at the pumps when youre cruising down the highway to your next offroad adventure. Its a win win. I guarantee whatever Ford decides to drop into the Raptor will be awesome whether it be the old 6.2, a detuned Coyote, or the V6 ecoboost. Its all speculation at this point but I highly doubt Ford is going to neuter the Raptor in anyway shape or form. Itll be a lot more powerful is my guess. They have a lot of good aftermarket test vehicles to look at from Roush and Hennessy.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a big difference between speeding down the freeway in a bimmer/subaru and pushing a 6000# truck in the desert in +100 degree weather. Reliability is a major factor. Less intricate parts to worry about. Sure there are baja trucks running turbos, but there's also a lot more money and design into them. Hell, I own and daily drive a turbo diesel cummins in the oilfields, but Im not quite placing the same demands that a raptor can achieve off road.

JMO, but I wouldn't want an engine with less displacement and more moving parts (two turbos) that can break.

Plus, we didn't buy these trucks for fuel economy. If that's what you are looking for, you're better off buying an ecoboost and upgrading the suspension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M3ichael

M3ichael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments on this thread. It will be interesting to see if Ford has an optional engine like when the Raptor originally came out.

Remember the new “CAFE” (corporate average fuel economy) standards mandate that automakers average 54.5 mpg for their cars by 2025, compared to 29.7 mpg now.
Here's a good read on it.
54.5 MPG: How the 2025 Standard Will Affect Drivers, Auto Industry | TIME.com

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is a small production number compared to regular F150's so I doubt CAFE will play as much a role in it as the reason its not in the Std F150 lineup. So we will still hold out hope for a nice powerful V8..