Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anybody done an aux fuel tank in bed or install a larger fuel tank?
Ive got a scab so I think I'm limited to the short bed stock tank I think 28 gal.
I'm not sure I want to lose bed space but I've seen online company selling low profile tanks that automatically fill factory tank.
I'm just lookin to extend my range so I don't have to mess with cans when Im in the woods.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Has anybody done an aux fuel tank in bed or install a larger fuel tank?
Ive got a scab so I think I'm limited to the short bed stock tank I think 28 gal.
I'm not sure I want to lose bed space but I've seen online company selling low profile tanks that automatically fill factory tank.
I'm just lookin to extend my range so I don't have to mess with cans when Im in the woods.

DUDE! Them is some big woods! AHhaaaaaaa. There are several outfitters fabricating bed racks for fuel cans and tires and such. Some may be easy to remove. I would go there before a tank in the bed. Keep us posted though.

BDRAG

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree a couple of 5ers in the bed is the way to go.

As far as in bed tank that fills OEM tank like transferflow tanks. Right now, it is a no go, the reason is the way the ez fill system on the Raptor works. You can not use the OEM filler neck to transfer fuel from in bed tank to OEM tank. The evap system pulls a vacuum in the tank, and it would cause all kinds of errors and overfill problems. If you ever try to top off your fuel tank, you will see what happens.. The evap system will pull liquid fuel into the system and the truck will run like complete ass, and stall..

-Greg

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree a couple of 5ers in the bed is the way to go.

As far as in bed tank that fills OEM tank like transferflow tanks. Right now, it is a no go, the reason is the way the ez fill system on the Raptor works. You can not use the OEM filler neck to transfer fuel from in bed tank to OEM tank. The evap system pulls a vacuum in the tank, and it would cause all kinds of errors and overfill problems. If you ever try to top off your fuel tank, you will see what happens.. The evap system will pull liquid fuel into the system and the truck will run like complete ass, and stall..

-Greg

Got a question about the fuel system pulling a vacuum. Where is the vacuum pump located? As far as I know it takes a pressure reading and does not pull a vacuum. Just asking for info cause if this system does pull a vacuum I need to find out more about this... Do you think it uses manifold vacuum to do this? What we did before was the PCM has a test monitor that randomly took pressure reading in the fuel system and if it failed it would set a code...

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a question about the fuel system pulling a vacuum. Where is the vacuum pump located? As far as I know it takes a pressure reading and does not pull a vacuum. Just asking for info cause if this system does pull a vacuum I need to find out more about this... Do you think it uses manifold vacuum to do this? What we did before was the PCM has a test monitor that randomly took pressure reading in the fuel system and if it failed it would set a code...

Only reason I said it is a vacuum, is because it has been 900° here recently. So I left my truck running with wife and kids in the truck. I attempted to fill the truck up. As soon as I stuck the fuel nozzle in the filler neck, you could hear rushing air sound.. Couple of seconds was all it needed to evap system to go ape shit and throw codes. So I shut the truck off, and filled up. Started the truck and little blue wrench icon was on. Check bezel diag on navigation system.

P0455 Evap vac leak (large)

cleared the code, restarted everything fine since.

-Greg

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found this that kind of supports my findings..

21018 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES
WITH CAPLESS FUEL (EASY FUEL) - EVAPORATE LEAK SERVICE TIP
FOR 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES WITH CAPLESS FUEL
(EASY FUEL) THAT HAVE MIL FOR DTCS P0442, P0455 OR P0456 OR "CHECK FUEL FILL
INLET" DISPLAYED IN THE MESSAGE CENTER WITH DTC P0457 AND THE EVAPORATIVE LEAK
TEST CONFIRMS SMOKE FROM CAPLESS DOOR, THE LEAK COULD BE DUE TO DEBRIS (SAND,
DUST) ON THE SEAL. BEFORE REPLACING PARTS, ACTUATE CAPLESS SEALING DOOR FIVE
TIMES TO CLEAR DEBRIS USING SUPPLEMENTAL REFUELING ADAPTER (SRA) FUNNEL OR A
STANDARD UNLEADED FUEL
FILLER NOZZLE. REFER TO OWNER GUIDE FOR THE SRA LOCATION
IN VEHICLE. YOU MAY ALSO USE SHORT BURSTS OF SHOP AIR ONTO THE CAPLESS DOOR SEAL
TO CLEAR THE DEBRIS ON THE SEAL. RUN EVAPORATIVE LEAK TEST AGAIN. IF LEAK IS
STILL PRESENT WITH CONFIRMATION OF SMOKE, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL
PROCEDURES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09-OCTOBER-2009

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this that kind of supports my findings..

21018 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES
WITH CAPLESS FUEL (EASY FUEL) - EVAPORATE LEAK SERVICE TIP
FOR 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES WITH CAPLESS FUEL
(EASY FUEL) THAT HAVE MIL FOR DTCS P0442, P0455 OR P0456 OR "CHECK FUEL FILL
INLET" DISPLAYED IN THE MESSAGE CENTER WITH DTC P0457 AND THE EVAPORATIVE LEAK
TEST CONFIRMS SMOKE FROM CAPLESS DOOR, THE LEAK COULD BE DUE TO DEBRIS (SAND,
DUST) ON THE SEAL. BEFORE REPLACING PARTS, ACTUATE CAPLESS SEALING DOOR FIVE
TIMES TO CLEAR DEBRIS USING SUPPLEMENTAL REFUELING ADAPTER (SRA) FUNNEL OR A
STANDARD UNLEADED FUEL
FILLER NOZZLE. REFER TO OWNER GUIDE FOR THE SRA LOCATION
IN VEHICLE. YOU MAY ALSO USE SHORT BURSTS OF SHOP AIR ONTO THE CAPLESS DOOR SEAL
TO CLEAR THE DEBRIS ON THE SEAL. RUN EVAPORATIVE LEAK TEST AGAIN. IF LEAK IS
STILL PRESENT WITH CONFIRMATION OF SMOKE, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL
PROCEDURES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09-OCTOBER-2009

Ya, I understand what you are saying but, Ive never seen a vacuum fuel test system. When they are leak tested they use a pressure... So it this system is under a vacuum when it runs its monitor its a totally new system to me...

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya, I understand what you are saying but, Ive never seen a vacuum fuel test system. When they are leak tested they use a pressure... So it this system is under a vacuum when it runs its monitor its a totally new system to me...

I will dig into it a little more..

-Greg