Fuel cell and smog equipment questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so here is my dilemma. I need more fuel capacity on my 2013 SCAB. I looked into adding a fuel cell where the spare tire was but apparently that will cause major issues for the computer on the smog system if I try to incorporate it into the stock tank / fuel system.

Now I want to find out about just removing the stock tank and putting in a 70 gallon fuel cell and having it work with all of the smog equipment. I may have an overly simplistic approach here but can't I just have any attachments on the stock tank welded onto the fuel cell and it will operate the same as the stock tank? Is there something I am missing?

I need to have a fuel cell to pass tech but I also still want to maintain my smog legal / street registered status.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? I plan to put the Harmon 70 gallon fuel cell in the back under the spares.

Thanks!

Bill

Thort

Reaction score
All u need is to make sure it's a sealed unit like the one on the truck now for evap reasons not a big deal if u look at the tank on the truck. Ow u can see what I mean each hose has it's purpose looking at the 2011 tank it looks like one vent hose on the tank to evap and fuel supply and return on the sending unit it sould be a simple swap with a few hose connections

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Do you know if the series your planning on running will allow you to run both tanks? Never heard of one allowing it nor would I want to run that series if they did allow it.

How's NV smog set Up, here in CA my 2013 won't need to be smogged till 2019, and there's quite a few ways around that!

In short pull the stupid smog shit off, I tried to keep all the smog crap and it worked but then I realized it wasn't anywhere near As safe As a correctly set up fuel cell

OP
OP
Bilwil

Bilwil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the series your planning on running will allow you to run both tanks? Never heard of one allowing it nor would I want to run that series if they did allow it.

How's NV smog set Up, here in CA my 2013 won't need to be smogged till 2019, and there's quite a few ways around that!

In short pull the stupid smog shit off, I tried to keep all the smog crap and it worked but then I realized it wasn't anywhere near As safe As a correctly set up fuel cell

I have to remove the tank so that is why I want to make the cell work with the smog system. Here in NV I am required to do a smog check every year after the first two years. I just did my first renewal so I have to do a smog check in 12 months. I wish I had as many years as you have in CA. I guess I could pull it and put it all back on temporarily for my inspections, but it seems easier to run it all the time. I do acknowledge your concerns for safety with the extra connections on the fuel cell. I will have to think about this some more.

Thanks!

Bill

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not do a transfer pump?

-Never mind, I don't read so well.

I would just count how many connections original tank has and then hook all of the smog stuff up. The stock tank is designed to withstand crashes and fires and such so all of the smog stuff should be good.

If you do it soon you will be able to keep and eye on it for 12 months for check engine lights and other issues.

Last edited:

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a smog guy look at much of anything. If the CEL isn't on, they just plug in and run the test. But, this is up here in Washoe county, Clark county might be different.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
I haven't had a smog guy look at much of anything. If the CEL isn't on, they just plug in and run the test. But, this is up here in Washoe county, Clark county might be different.

A fuel cell is pretty hard to hide if it's anything larger than 8 gallons. And if I remember right he wanted a pretty large tank back there! The best way to hide a big fuel cell is do a lot of aluminum work filling the entire bed!
It can be done just gotta take the time and $

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to get my Raptor smoged today, so I asked the guy about this. From what said, NV doesn't care what the fuel is in, as long as the CEL isn't on, its assumed that the fuel system is intact & OK.