A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1000 miles since greasing and no return of the dreaded clunk. Will continue to post updates over time. All road miles thus far.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit 1500 miles today and clunk returned. Just got back from a trip to Maryland. All miles were on road and after pulling shaft it appears that all previous grease was washed out just by rain. Thinking I will replace the seal on the t-case and see if that helps retain grease longer. Used anti seize this time to grease. Why not, I'll be back under there soon if it doesn't work. Anyone have the seal part number handy?

Badazzraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been searching but can't find the TSB on the clunk. Where do I find it so I can print it? Can somebody post a link?

newerammk

Reaction score
clunk

So I def have the clunk. Thinking the yoke has the slack. What should my next step be? went to ford store in morgan once and addressed issue. They couldn't find anything wrong. The more info I have now is there a better way I can go back and have this fixed? 2014 on 15000 miles. noticed it at about 3000 and seems to be getting worse or om just annoyed with it

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I def have the clunk. Thinking the yoke has the slack. What should my next step be? went to ford store in morgan once and addressed issue. They couldn't find anything wrong. The more info I have now is there a better way I can go back and have this fixed? 2014 on 15000 miles. noticed it at about 3000 and seems to be getting worse or om just annoyed with it
I am not aware of a permanent fix at this time short of installing a different style shaft or installing a grease point. Pulling the shaft is easy yourself with basic hand tools and you can get the TSB specific grease from the dealer or online. If you don't want to deal with it yourself you can always take it in to any good shop and they can knock it out fast. This is assuming that the issue is a lack of lubrication in the slip yoke.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

91stangy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all does it matter what grease to use? Anyone want to recommend something? Need to definitely do this on my '10

Fivenines

Reaction score
So, I took the truck to a different dealer, explained the situation and left it with them for a week, while I was on days off. When I picked the truck up, they (actually, the service manager) told me the truck definitely had a problem that greasing the slip yoke would not fix. They replaced the driveshaft. I have worked three shifts since and the new set-up probably has 5-6000 km's and all I have is a sort of "mini-clunk" which is maybe normal driveline slop and I am just paying too much attention to it. I'm pretty much clunk free so far and I love my truck again :-D Cheers!!