A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
67779d1440766538t-ford-techs-take-clunk-one-only-clunk-thread-dsc00569.jpg
here ya go

the black rubber thing that fits snugly around the driveshaft yoke.

this is the pick of it from underneath do not know what boot you are talking about but it is the black rubber thing in this picture.

Antlers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That little boot doesn't do anything to fix the clunk. My 2010 6.2 was clunking like crazy until I installed a zerk in the yoke. You can see that boot in this photo.

image_zpsmaqgsjdf.jpg

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so I assume you are saying it is a grease issue and that is what you use that fitting for?

I would buy that, but how often do you have to grease the fitting for the shaft.

jakehobbs

Reaction score
That little boot doesn't do anything to fix the clunk. My 2010 6.2 was clunking like crazy until I installed a zerk in the yoke. You can see that boot in this photo.

image_zpsmaqgsjdf.jpg

I was wondering if installing a zerk would fix this. I am pulling my driveshaft every 1K miles to regrease with fords blue stuff. This would make it a lot easier. Seems like such a popular issue for Ford not to have a legitimate fix. Mine bugs the shit out of me.

Antlers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely easier to grease. Need to drive it hard to get the grease moving around but that's not that big a deal. I only have a couple hundred miles and 2 grease applications so far. Not gonna fix a design flaw with grease, but it helps.

Fivenines

Reaction score
Ok, so I stopped by the local dealer and showed the tech jamannr's pic and part number and explained the problem. He went into the parts room and came out with the seal and the Teflon grease that Ford calls for. He said he could look at it right away if I had the time, so I said ...Absolutely, let's do this! 45 min later it was done. I have only driven a couple hundred km since, but there is no clunk whatsoever. I am back at work with the truck this week, so I will post an update after about 1400 km highway and maybe 1000 km off road. Cheers!

Update: After the mileage I noted above, I have noticed the clunk is trying to make a comeback. It's still mostly quiet back there (about 10-20% of as bad as it used to be) but there is some clunk for sure. I am keeping an eye (or ear I guess) on it and will let you know after another 1000 km on hwy and 1000 off road.

I like the grease nipple idea...makes sense. Ford should be addressing this issue with a FIX not a Band-aid. It's not like we are talking about any expensive components here. At the end of the day, I guess their position will be "Hey, if there is no threat to life or health of people, leave it". Crystal is apparently working on finding a solution?? Haven't received any response back from her.

Cheers!

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said. $450 for ford to re grease my tail shaft.

Crystal did what she could ad very appreciative of it. Ford them selves are a bit to laugh at. Especially when there was a specific recall on the 2011 raptor for tailshaft replacement.

The known about this for a very long time.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Crystal is apparently working on finding a solution?? Haven't received any response back from her.

Cheers!

Hi Fivenines,

Did you reach out to me via PM? If so, I'm not seeing a message from you in my inbox. If you're trying to reach out to our Canadian rep, Mathieu, you can send him a PM directly. Here's a link to his profile: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/members/fordserviceca/

Like I said. $450 for ford to re grease my tail shaft.

Crystal did what she could ad very appreciative of it...

I'm always happy to do whatever I can, Aussiesvt. If I can be of any assistance in the future, just send a PM my way.

Crystal

Fivenines

Reaction score
Hi Fivenines,

Did you reach out to me via PM? If so, I'm not seeing a message from you in my inbox. If you're trying to reach out to our Canadian rep, Mathieu, you can send him a PM directly. Here's a link to his profile: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/members/fordserviceca/

Yes I sent you a PM. I will try Mathieu, thanks.

After a second shift at work the clunk is pretty bad again, probably about 80% of when it was at its worst...so lame. I'll see what Mathieu does/says about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts