A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't remember what they did to the '11 for the clunk but the '13 has never had that problem or the stall/dead engine in a turn. It's all good.

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my dealer told me that the TSB 13-7-7 is not for my truck. Yet everybody on here says it is. I'm about to just give up on the whole thing. As I said before, dealer had my truck for 4 days and couldn't find anything wrong. Told me the clunk is normal. By the way mine is a 2013.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah my dealer told me that the TSB 13-7-7 is not for my truck. Yet everybody on here says it is. I'm about to just give up on the whole thing. As I said before, dealer had my truck for 4 days and couldn't find anything wrong. Told me the clunk is normal. By the way mine is a 2013.

Seems like it shouldn't be an issue. The clunk has been around on MANY vehicles. As stated before, mine went away after some heavy off roading that slammed my cross member up into my shaft.

slowest member of WCPR

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer said the TSB was for 2011s and 14s built between certain dates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop77InTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually traded my truck in because it went out of warranty and the clunk had gotten so bad on occasion, I would have sworn I was rear ended. Ford blamed the tune, and nameless other things every time I took it in for it. We tried every solution the proposed to no avail

Mrick

Reaction score
My 2010 Raptor with the 6.2 and 1 piece driveshaft developed the clunk at stopping and takeoff around 35k after a long road trip. After replacing the driveshaft with a nice steel one from a good ds shop and attempts to use the little packets of Ford lube failed to cure the noise I finally pulled my ds again in the freezing cold a few weeks back to try and resolve the issue.

After taking a rag and cleaning off all what was left of the ford white stuff I grabbed some Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No. 2 High Performance Multi-Purpose grease (which is actually recommended for U joints by Dana) and went to town packing the inside of the yoke where it mates with the trans case output shaft. After applying more than a few fingerfulls and making sure all the grooves were nicely packed I reinstalled the driveshaft. I then took her for a test drive and voila, no more chirping or clunking from the ds. I am so happy to have my smooth drivetrain back. The noises drove me crazy every time I stopped and started off the line. Anyway, I hope this helps some with fixing their clunk. Here's a pic of the packed splines prior to install

My take is the transfer case output shaft is most likely just a hair larger than it should be which is what causes the momentary binding without a good bit of lube in there.

EAB16436-9569-4292-8A52-486553A3465D_zps183slwae.jpg

Last edited:

Fivenines

Reaction score
I've had this issue on my 2013 screw for 5 out of the 5 1/2 months I've owned the truck. I had the truck in to 2 dealers for this...first dealer did a complete rebuild of the transmission (which was good, but obviously did not fix the clunk) and the second lubed the driveshaft splines, etc....made zero difference. My truck is an off-road work vehicle for me and although I hear the sound on dirt/gravel, I don't really feel it very much. When I get on pavement, the feel of the splines releasing is really bad sometimes, truck lurches ahead a bit and I feel the whole truck shudder....this is the one and only thing I do not like about the truck, but it is a biggie...totally HATE this. I know the OP said the driveshaft is not going to fail, etc, but for me, when I am 50 km into the bush down some haggard old lease roads and I hear the clunk for the 100th time that day, I sometimes wonder.

I did not read all 65 pages of this thread, is there a summary or thumbnail as to whether there is any concrete solution?

Edit: Truck has 51,000 km (30,000 miles)

Cheers!

Fivenines

Reaction score
So, I have my truck at home and yesterday I dropped the driveshaft and greased up the slip yoke and am pleased to say that the "clunk" is gone, gone, gone!! The bolts were mega tight (split a 12 pt socket) but the job should take like 1/2 hr to an hour tops. I used Lucas Red n Tacky grease. Yeeehaaaaw!!