A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The raptors soft suspension, the huge ass factory lift block (if you still have stock springs) and the 4:11 gear ratio all contribute to it clunking while your going from reverse to forward or forward to reverse. With the brakes applied, the axle slightly wraps when shifting from park. As the pinion gear rotates and climbs the ring gear up or down (depending on if you're putting it into drive or reverse) , the drive shaft must pull out, causing the "clunk". So, if it happens coming out of park, consider it normal.

Mine clunked but was never part of the tsb group. I greased it a few times and switched to a synthetic t case fluid and its pretty much gone away.

Also putting it into 4x4 reduces the load at the rear axle which reduces the axle wrap since the front is now also pulling the vehicle. Not uncommon for the clunk noise to reduce in 4x4.

Last edited:

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got the slip yoke greased yesterday per Pirate Air's instructions on page 3 of this thread. So now the clock is ticking! So far, 32 miles and no clunk. :).

Thanks Pirate....

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2012 and my 2013 had the clunk when shifting in to drive and down shifting. Makes me worry something is going to break. I'm going to take it into Ford and get it looked at.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what they say. FYI, greasing the slip yoke got me 387 miles without a clunk....it happened again tonight. Pirate, you were right after all.... :)

mjyst3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. I have about 31k on my '13 super crew.' I noticed today that when I went from 4x4h mode to 2wd there was a god awe full clunck and grinding noise. I did the same thing several times and same thing. I called a member on the phone and he told me to try it from a complete stop. I did and no sounds. But now it seems to shift really hard when I go from park to drive or drive to reverse. ANY AND ALL THOUGHTS would be greatly appreciated.

FYI my truck is a street queen. I do a lot of hwy driving. So no real abuse here at all. Please help.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. I have about 31k on my '13 super crew.' I noticed today that when I went from 4x4h mode to 2wd there was a god awe full clunck and grinding noise. I did the same thing several times and same thing. I called a member on the phone and he told me to try it from a complete stop. I did and no sounds. But now it seems to shift really hard when I go from park to drive or drive to reverse. ANY AND ALL THOUGHTS would be greatly appreciated.

FYI my truck is a street queen. I do a lot of hwy driving. So no real abuse here at all. Please help.

There's your problem, your truck's angry with you

Black Oval

Reaction score
I've been hearing/feeling the clunk in mine for the past month since I bought it. Spent the last 2 nights under the truck trying to figure out its origin. Finally found it! My Raptor came with a Ford plastic bedliner. When I bought the truck I told the dealership I wanted Nitro Trail Grapples so they threw them in the back when I bought the truck and off I went from Austin to Houston to Dallas. Shortly after emptying the bad the clunking began. Bounced up and down on the bumper to try and pinpoint the clunk. Finally had my wife jump up and down and crawled under the truck to investigate. Couldn't find sh;t. Tightened bolts and even pulled off the shock shields. Then my wife stood in the bed and I bounced on the tailgate, no more clunking. The bed liner was the culprit. I'm either taking it out or tr u in to shim it somehow this weekend.

So I guess if you have a drop in bedliner, that's another easy check to do to see if it's coming from that not being snug.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a pop in the front end

It might have always been there, but noticed it when the wx got better and have had the windows down
Really only can hear it in parking lots when backing out of tight spots. A very subtle pop when swapping between fwd and reverse. No clues where to start looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk