GEN 1 Ford sync and usb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91stangy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Don’t want to take the dash apart to find my though isn’t possible.

I have a 2012 with sync and nav and was wondering if anyone has a picture of the back of the unit and how everything connects?

Reason being is I was thinking of running a usb splitter with an extension to the center console for non Bluetooth usb devices so I don’t have a wire sitting by the shifter all the time. Does anyone have info on this or someone who has already done it? Did a search and didn’t come up with anything.

Thanks!

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a usb input under the rubber tray on top.of the dash. Also the lower trim facia removes and that is what hold the usb outlet. What's the purpose of what you want in the center console? If you want usb power just put an adapter in.the cigarette lighter in the center console. If it's a data thing to access a library then why not get a nano drive? Maybe not understanding your need so please explain further. Not sure why you would need usb in the center console that you can't already achieve in other manners.

OP
OP

91stangy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah did not know about this other mysterious usb outlet. Have an older iPod that doesn’t have Bluetooth I wanna just leave hidden in the truck. I wish the hard drive in the truck wasn’t so useless so I didn’t need anything at all.

OP
OP

91stangy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still curious on whether or not there’s a usb connection in the back that can be split though.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still curious on whether or not there’s a usb connection in the back that can be split though.

Definitely no usb on the back. Just a few proprietary plugs like for the camera input etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do a quick search for the "USB 2 mod" online. There are a couple extra USB ports (square USB) under the dash. You need the correct USB adapter then you can run a USB cord into the glove box or wherever. Did this on my old 2010 fx4. Worked great.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah did not know about this other mysterious usb outlet. Have an older iPod that doesn’t have Bluetooth I wanna just leave hidden in the truck. I wish the hard drive in the truck wasn’t so useless so I didn’t need anything at all.

The USB is there, keep looking. I have 12’ and run my iPod classic with a USB extension cord down the back and into the glovebox where the iPod sits. Have had it there for almost 6 years. If you have a Fry’s Electronics near you, head there and they can get you any type of splitter you need.

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, I suggest a nano drive would be less expensive, easier,.offer larger storage and be more conspicuous.