Ford Service Writers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WATCH 'EM! I recently got a check engine light that I couldn't reset, so I took it to the Ford dealership from whom I bought the Raptor. As I anticipated, the problem was an O2 sensor. It was repaired under warranty at no charge to me. Problem solved, right?

NO.

The service technician wrote on my service record, "IDS Flagged due to modifications dealing with axel ratio, tire size, wheels. No related modifications noticed during inspection."

The tires are the exact same size as the factory BFGs, the wheels are the factory wheels that were delivered on the truck, and I have made no gearing changes. At best those two sentences are contradictory. At worst, my factory warranty is over because the guy can't write. That first sentence is a stand-alone thought. That's what periods are for. With the modifier "related" in the second sentence, the two sentences say that I've made warranty killing modifications to my truck, but that they do not have anything to do with the other (O2 sensor) code.

They've promised to alter the service record and send me a copy as proof, but the guy who called me actually wanted to argue about the meaning of what the technician wrote. It ought to be obvious that if you're in a service industry you do not call a client and argue with him about how to read English.

I need another cheap beer.

Last edited:

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went through the same thing. They said I had a "heavily modified suspension and steering components." All I really have is mid perch and bump stops. The way they explained it to me is they basically choose from a drop down menu. They don't actually write that in. So part of it may be true and part of it may not be. Now who knows if they actually told me the truth and really chose from a drop down menu...

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was told that I'll receive a modified service record in the mail. It'll be interesting to see HOW it's modified, as it may reveal whether the menu-driven explanation is true. I'll post here with the results.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got a confirmatory e-mail today assuring me that the service record is being changed. I ought to have a copy in hand next week.

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford dealers, and warranty BLOWS!!!

Fords idea of customer relations after sales is, "oh you purchased one of our products, and it has a malfunction? SUCKS FOR YOU"

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've noticed on my invoices they write like a caveman. I understand that's partially to save room but down the road someone might not be able to correctly interpret what was said.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, they sent me the revised service record - registered and with a return receipt. Here's what it says:

CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, ADVISE
E29
TECH112 VERIFY CUSTOMERS CONCERN PERFORMED IDS TEST,
RETRIEVED CODE U0422 AND P2272 IN KOEC. P2272 DUING KOER IN
PCM.
IDS FLAGGED SSM 12057 FOR CODE U0422. SSM 12057 ADDRESSES
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON POSSIBLY DUE TO AFTERMARKET
MODIFICATIONS DEALING WITH AXLE RATIO, TIRE SIZE, WHEELS.
SSM 12057 DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS VEHICLE, INSPECTION OF
VEHICLE PER SSM 12057 INDICATES THAT VEHICLE HAS NO
MODIFICATIONS. PRODEEDE WITH DIAGNOSIS, PERFORMED
PINPOINT TEST H1, H1, H35, H36, H37-H41 FOUND FAILED/BIASED O2
SENSOR 22. BANK 2 SENSOR 2.

R7R 02 SENSOR/MONITOR.
CLARED DTCS.
REPEAT KOER TEST AND TEST PASSED.
ROAD TEST TO VERIFY REPAIR.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh boy, and there was a second page that said that they checked and changed my tire pressures. They didn't indicate that while I was at the dealership - didn't say they were going to check my tire pressures, and didn't ask if they could change the tire pressures. I have nearly brand new Goodyear Duratracs on the Raptor, and I just checked and equalized the tire pressures at the factory spec of 44 psi just a couple of days prior. So I checked my tires (cold), and doggone if they didn't walk around my truck letting air out of my tires. All were at 42 psi, as measured by the same air pressure gauge as before.

Now this was not done by a conscientious professional who just happened to have a badly calibrated air pressure gauge. How do I know? Because he didn't let air out of my spare tire, too. That was too much trouble.

So like I said, WATCH THEM. If I ever return to that dealership's "service" department (unlikely), I will come with a list of things for them to leave the hell alone.