Ford Performance Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I don't believe you should fill to the top hole, the rear end fluid should not be filling up the tubes to the wheel bearings.
I believe there should only be about a 1/4 of the tube filled with oil, making it the lower hole.
That's probably why you were able to use so much fluid.

I would call Ford Performance!!!

Look how big the AFE is and I only used 5 1/4 quarts.
And that site glass needs to be just filled with oil and it's pretty low on the cover.
And I have topped of the diff twice now almost finished the sixth quart.

View attachment 93583

View attachment 93586

Should we ever meet the beer is on me! I drained off 2 qts of oil using bottom hole. Then I looked at my broken bolt and saw I could get a flat tip on it and managed to get the broken bolt out and replaced as well. It’s perfect now.

Attachments

• E2518E7D-ED75-40C1-B40A-E9540D7896B1.jpg
    E2518E7D-ED75-40C1-B40A-E9540D7896B1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 80

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should we ever meet the beer is on me! I drained off 2 qts of oil using bottom hole. Then I looked at my broken bolt and saw I could get a flat tip on it and managed to get the broken bolt out and replaced as well. It’s perfect now.

Ordered one for my 17.

https://vimeo.com/239645844

According to this video, the top hole is for a lifted truck (7" in the video) with increased pinion angle. So for Raptors and regular F150s I think the bottom hole is the way to go. Sound right to you guys?

Funny, I called FP and they have no idea which hole is for what (insert joke here) and im waiting on a call back.

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I have been running the truck with bottom hole for 500 miles with no issue. Runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You just need to look at the axle tube in relation to the fill holes. The oil fill level should be just a bit above the bottom of the axle tube. Enough to get oil to the bearings at the end of the axle tubes, but not enough to get up to where the bottom of the axle and the axle seal meet.

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I sure wish that video was out when I first installed mine. Knowing the fill hole and the torque would have saved me a lot of heart ache.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You just need to look at the axle tube in relation to the fill holes. The oil fill level should be just a bit above the bottom of the axle tube. Enough to get oil to the bearings at the end of the axle tubes, but not enough to get up to where the bottom of the axle and the axle seal meet.

Understood, thank you

I sure wish that video was out when I first installed mine. Knowing the fill hole and the torque would have saved me a lot of heart ache.

Update: Just to close the matter, FP called me back today and said to fill to the bottom hole which is 2.7 qts, same as stock. As noted by EricM earlier the two holes give you the option to use a cooler.
Side Note: The instruction sheet for this thing isnt even out yet...

-Rob

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Understood, thank you

Update: Just to close the matter, FP called me back today and said to fill to the bottom hole which is 2.7 qts, same as stock. As noted by EricM earlier the two holes give you the option to use a cooler.

Side Note: The instruction sheet for this thing isnt even out yet...

-Rob

When I bought it I didn’t realize how new to the market it was. Came in a Ford Performance box with no instructions or documentation.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i would never want an aluminum diff cover over a much harder steel or cast iron one.

rocks just love to destroy aluminum..... like love to. love it.
diff cover looks decent, i think i may pick one up.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i would never want an aluminum diff cover over a much harder steel or cast iron one.

rocks just love to destroy aluminum..... like love to. love it.
diff cover looks decent, i think i may pick one up.

The stockers are stamped steel, no? Wouldn't exactly call that strong. Plus they face backwards. Plus they don't really stick out past the pumpkin itself.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stockers are stamped steel, no? Wouldn't exactly call that strong. Plus they face backwards. Plus they don't really stick out past the pumpkin itself.

oh child lol....

you can tell your version of offroad is the starbucks parking lot.
that was painful to read.