Fed up with Smittybuilt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ajstar89

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latch part that screws into the strap broke straight off. I'll see if I can find a photo. I remember being super pissed because the tank bent the shit out of my bed, I couldn't find the latch in the bed. Only the broken thread parts was left behind for inspection on both bands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Ps when you talk with them, let the, know those metal bands blow too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

@ajstar89
So do you think even if you put felt on the rivets so it wouldn't scratch the tank, that the metal bands would of broken anyways? I haven't installed mine yet but it seems like they would slip off the clamp pretty easy as there is no guard to keep it from not doing so. Guess it wouldn't hurt to racket strap it in too, just to be safe.

The air gauge on mine broke, dial is past 400 when closed. It still works, just no idea where pressure is at.

richardhead84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ajstar89
So do you think even if you put felt on the rivets so it wouldn't scratch the tank, that the metal bands would of broken anyways? I haven't installed mine yet but it seems like they would slip off the clamp pretty easy as there is no guard to keep it from not doing so. Guess it wouldn't hurt to racket strap it in too, just to be safe.

The air gauge on mine broke, dial is past 400 when closed. It still works, just no idea where pressure is at.

I ran my tank and mount pretty hard at TRR this year and both the tank and clamps didn't slip one bit. Granted I did have a master lock on it to keep it from opening. Just make sure you thread down the clamp down so you get a snug fit.

As for OP my tank is looking similar to yours from the rivets tearing into the tank. I guess I need to grind them down a little bit.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ajstar89

Regulator on mine is also toast think it was damaged when I used the tank on its side and it syphoned liquid and froze, gauge is off by at least 100psi at atmospheric pressure. Looked at getting a replacement and the run 150 so I got jumbos tank for a steal. I kinda like having a spare tank around if I don't have a chance to get it filled between runs.

You will have a bad day when your lines pop at a couple of thousand psi. Get a new regulator asap.

D

Deleted member 12951

You will have a bad day when your lines pop at a couple of thousand psi. Get a new regulator asap.

Suggestion which one and where? Thanks Tom!
I tried Smittybilt but they don't sell it individually.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Suggestion which one and where? Thanks Tom!

I tried Smittybilt but they don't sell it individually.

Roger should be able to get it I know he was having trouble. The other option would be to call power tank to see if they sell just the regulator, all the fittings are the same so it will work if you can get it. Let me know as I'll probably be buying one if you can get it without the full kit.

D

Deleted member 12951

Roger should be able to get it I know he was having trouble. The other option would be to call power tank to see if they sell just the regulator, all the fittings are the same so it will work if you can get it. Let me know as I'll probably be buying one if you can get it without the full kit.

Actually already tried Roger, he was my first go-to. He was the one that told me about the trouble getting it from Smitty. He provided a link to one on Amazon but it looked like a real cheapy so was a tad hesitant.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere that talks about building your own rig. Forget who did it, but a lot of good indie and sources for the parts.