Factory warranty - maintenance work/loaner vehicle???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my raptor is still under the factory 3/36 and I plan on extending it to 7/100. My previous car(Merk AMG) I was told by the dealer to have all regular maintenance done by a dealer or shop for records so to avoid any complications in the future with the warranty. I have called 2 ford dealers and they both have told me than maintenance work can be done by me as long as I keep a log with receipts showing I purchased the parts.

I have always done all my own maintenance outside of my last car, and since I live an hour from the closest dealer its much easier to just do oil changes myself but I don't want to have any problems with ford in the future. Has anybody had issues with them covering warranty issues after doing your own regular maintenance???

Also, both dealers said that the ford warranty doesn't cover a loaner vehicle when warranty work is being performed, is this true?? I was under the assumption from threads I've read on here that a loaner vehicle was covered for all warranty work...

TIA!!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, my raptor is still under the factory 3/36 and I plan on extending it to 7/100. My previous car(Merk AMG) I was told by the dealer to have all regular maintenance done by a dealer or shop for records so to avoid any complications in the future with the warranty. I have called 2 ford dealers and they both have told me than maintenance work can be done by me as long as I keep a log with receipts showing I purchased the parts.

I have always done all my own maintenance outside of my last car, and since I live an hour from the closest dealer its much easier to just do oil changes myself but I don't want to have any problems with ford in the future. Has anybody had issues with them covering warranty issues after doing your own regular maintenance???

Also, both dealers said that the ford warranty doesn't cover a loaner vehicle when warranty work is being performed, is this true?? I was under the assumption from threads I've read on here that a loaner vehicle was covered for all warranty work...

TIA!!

You are correct, you can absolutely do your own maintenance. Log it and keep receipts. You're golden.

As far as a loaner, my experience is that it depends on your dealership. I've had my truck in on the extended warranty for some transmission repairs this year and they gave me a loaner for the whole time. No questions asked. So, I guess I've never really thought about it and have been lucky enough to not have had any warranty needs away from home.

I know there are some guys on here with a lot more warranty experience than me that may know.....

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The extended warranty can be got with and without rental coverage I think. I have rental coverage on my extended warranty from ford.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the extended warrant comes with a loaner/rental. its stated in your policy. they cover up to 10 days. after that, you have to pay. one dealer failed to tell me that when they had my truck for 3 weeks. came back to a $400 rental fee.

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loaner vehicle seems to be at dealer discretion, which is just insane to me. To buy a 60-70K brand new diesel and not have loaner cars covered just blows my mind. I'm pretty sure all other major manufacturers cover loaner cars so Ford seems to be behind the curve here.

I will be making sure when I do the extended warranty that the loaner vehicle is covered with no timeline for coverage.

As for maintenance, I called a few other dealers and they said the same thing so i'll be keeping a log with receipts for oil changes. Hopefully I don't end up with a big enough issue to where they would question maintenance, if they do i'll have my lawyers number handy, lol.

Thanks guys!

D

Deleted member 12951

Loaner is usually not available for the standard 3/36 warranty unless you have a Ford ESP. You can get basic for a car up to $30 a day and after the 1st day in the shop. Or you can bump up the ESP to premium rental for up to a car for $70 a day and covered immediately. I purchased the basic one and now wish I would of upgraded.

I asked Ford, not the dealer but the plan administration number if a repair takes longer than 10 days and I was told that if it was due to Ford's fault that they would continue to provide the vehicle for however long it takes. Need to look at my fine print now....

OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loaner is usually not available for the standard 3/36 warranty unless you have a Ford ESP. You can get basic for a car up to $30 a day and after the 1st day in the shop. Or you can bump up the ESP to premium rental for up to a car for $70 a day and covered immediately. I purchased the basic one and now wish I would of upgraded.

I asked Ford, not the dealer but the plan administration number if a repair takes longer than 10 days and I was told that if it was due to Ford's fault that they would continue to provide the vehicle for however long it takes. Need to look at my fine print now....

Just weird to have a limit on a Loaner, if it takes longer than the 10 days it's generally not going to be because the customer just doesn't want to come pick their vehicle up. Maybe I was just spoiled by the Mercedes warranty and terms.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had a loaner longer than 10 days. Ford was waiting on parts. One thing I have learned, get with the GM and talk to him about it. If you bought there and he values your business, he can take care of you. My dealership has an Enterprise inside it, but if he's in a good mood, he'll let me use his daily driver or one of their cool trade-ins. Those dealers have a lot of tools at their disposal.....