Exhaust Leak Only When Cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMWBig6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after remotely starting my truck on a cold morning, I walk up to the vehicle and notice a small puddle of water near the middle of the truck (not near the engine where the A/C usually drips), and I can also hear a slight ticking noise that I never heard before. I stoop down and can see water dripping from the exhaust (I think off the back of the resonator?). I snap a few pics and decide I'll take a closer look later, but curiously when I return from my drive, the leak and noise are gone. With 76K miles on the truck, is it possible I've developed a pinhole sized perforation or leak in the factory exhaust system (or maybe there's a loose fitting) that is only present when the engine is cold, but "seals" itself up once the engine is warm and the metal has expanded? I only see the water puddle and hear the noise when remotely starting the truck on cold mornings, never on warm days or after driving around town.

leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

28Eliminator

Reaction score
So after remotely starting my truck on a cold morning, I walk up to the vehicle and notice a small puddle of water near the middle of the truck (not near the engine where the A/C usually drips), and I can also hear a slight ticking noise that I never heard before. I stoop down and can see water dripping from the exhaust (I think off the back of the resonator?). I snap a few pics and decide I'll take a closer look later, but curiously when I return from my drive, the leak and noise are gone. With 76K miles on the truck, is it possible I've developed a pinhole sized perforation or leak in the factory exhaust system (or maybe there's a loose fitting) that is only present when the engine is cold, but "seals" itself up once the engine is warm and the metal has expanded? I only see the water puddle and hear the noise when remotely starting the truck on cold mornings, never on warm days or after driving around town.

leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

My 2011 does the same thing, but never noticed a tick/exhaust leak sound, just drips. Curious what the inmates have to say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobob

Reaction score
It's normal. The hole is to let the condensated water run out. Once it's hot, no condensation. Helps minimize rust. I thought the same thing when I first observed this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mobob

Reaction score
You're not imagining it. Mine ticks when it's really cold until it warms up. I heard it, saw the ice from the condensation drips on the ground and thought the same as you until I did some investigation through Ford.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk