Eliminate bed sag when towing(less expensive)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
646fbdec3a4e594e452b813fabf9a8cf.jpg

I use this type of hitch. For the height of the hitch on the car, i measured the height of the trailer hitch when the trailer was levelled out. Then i put the car hitch a little higher. When i load the trailer, I spread the weight as good as possible over the whole trailer. Because the car is hitch is a little higher, there is some weight on the car hitch. This is for me the best way to tow the trailer. When i put more weight on the back of the trailer, it doesn't sag, but is horrible to drive. With the extra leafs, it doesn't sag and it's perfect to tow.

OP
OP
Tiberius

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
646fbdec3a4e594e452b813fabf9a8cf.jpg

I use this type of hitch. For the height of the hitch on the car, i measured the height of the trailer hitch when the trailer was levelled out. Then i put the car hitch a little higher. When i load the trailer, I spread the weight as good as possible over the whole trailer. Because the car is hitch is a little higher, there is some weight on the car hitch. This is for me the best way to tow the trailer. When i put more weight on the back of the trailer, it doesn't sag, but is horrible to drive. With the extra leafs, it doesn't sag and it's perfect to tow.
Thank you. I think that may be a big part of my problem. My hitch ball is significantly higher than the trailer level. I cant lower this one anymore without reversing(it is reversable) it and then it is way to low.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you. I think that may be a big part of my problem. My hitch ball is significantly higher than the trailer level. I cant lower this one anymore without reversing(it is reversable) it and then it is way to low.

That would be your issue if its to high you will not be able to crank on the bars to level it. Go to a camper store and buy the correct size adjustable shank for your wd hitch and you should be in a much better place.

Weight Distribution Shanks Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WD part of the hitch I know is setup properly. What I am wondering is maybe the hitch I have is just to high and I need to get a different one.

That could be a big issue. My WD hitch included a calculator sheet to determine the height and ball angle. If those items aren't dialed in you could be seeing what you are getting.

etrailers is a great resource for knowledge on setting these things up. First one I installed I was very frustrated until I understood why every height and angle was so critical.

OP
OP
Tiberius

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been researching this as well with the forethought of getting a toy hauler. Here are additional ideas to the Timbrens. I am favoring the Timbrens but want to know about the ride when not towing, both in town and mountain dirt roads. Don't care about jumping but I like the ride cruising on dirt roads so I don't want to mess that up. Yes I am also planning to stay within the confines of the 8,000lbs towing capacity, I just would like some cushion for peace of mind. Distribution hitch planned as a must.

I like the Timbrens and these for bolt on/off application.

Hellwig 61902 are $210 on Amazon and free shipping with Prime membership. Made specifically for the Raptor and claims: "these units increase your vehicles level load carrying capacity up to 2500 lbs."
Ford Raptor Pro Series | Hellwig Products

Road Master active suspension is $400 on Amazon, free shipping. I'm not sure if this would work for the Raptor but it looks interesting.
How It Works | Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs

SummitRacing also has several.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...r/drivetrain/4wd/installation-kit-required/no

Couple posts on Road Master here, last one mentions using it:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/roadmaster-active-suspension-kits-8332/

Just an update on Hellwig. Called their offices today and they no longer make this product. He simply said it didnt work out so dont buy any that are out there still being sold.

Found this one as well and they said it would work. Seems pretty cool and is backed by alot of regular F150 owners. Has a quick disconnect as well to easily go back to "normal" mode.

Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad

ditchpanther

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the TorkLift Stableloads. It's just a gap filler between your springs and overload spring. I would think those would be noisy as well, no? Explained here:
TorkLift StableLoad Rear Suspension Upgrade with Quick-Disconnects - Lower Overload Springs TorkLift Vehicle Suspension TLA7310

Another company, SuperSprings, makes the same or similar as Hellwig. Looks like they claim a 3,000lb increase.
SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers

I think these would fit Raptor (SSA5), but double check. The SSA28 model comes with a poly pad, which also fits F-150 - assuming Raptor as well.
http://supersprings.com/Application_Flyers/SSA5_F150.jpg

$242 on Amazon (SSA5), free shipping.
Amazon.com: Super Springs SSA5 44"L X 3"W X .360": Automotive

$300 on Amazon (SSA28), free shipping.
Link: http://amzn.com/B00715DL8U

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiberius

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the TorkLift Stableloads. It's just a gap filler between your springs and overload spring. I would think those would be noisy as well, no? Explained here:
TorkLift StableLoad Rear Suspension Upgrade with Quick-Disconnects - Lower Overload Springs TorkLift Vehicle Suspension TLA7310

Another company, SuperSprings, makes the same or similar as Hellwig. Looks like they claim a 3,000lb increase.
SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers

I think these would fit Raptor (SSA5), but double check. The SSA28 model comes with a poly pad, which also fits F-150 - assuming Raptor as well.
http://supersprings.com/Application_Flyers/SSA5_F150.jpg

$242 on Amazon (SSA5), free shipping.
Amazon.com: Super Springs SSA5 44"L X 3"W X .360": Automotive

$300 on Amazon (SSA28), free shipping.
Link: http://amzn.com/B00715DL8U
Yes I left a message for super springs earlier today. Waiting for a call back. They were referred to me by the company I am returning the Timbrens to. Figured I will get all the info I can while I am knee deep in this anyways.

ditchpanther

Reaction score
$385 here for SuperSprings (SSA28) - 3,000lb capacity. Sharing this for the review comment below. I'm interested in what you hear back from the company, but this review says a lot.

SuperSpring Helper Spring Kit, Medium Duty, Suspension Stabilizer, SSA28 - TruckSpring.com

Comments about SuperSprings SuperSpring Helper Spring Kit - Medium Duty:
I put these, SSA28, on my F-150 Raptor/SVT when I need to haul some extra weight. They need to be mounted slighly offset towards the rear to gain sufficient clearance between SuperSpring front shackle and truck frame when and only under xtreme heavy load. Front shackle of SuperSpring should be approx. 2 1/2 inches back from front leaf-spring clampholder. That will bring the rear SuperSpring shackle right up next to the rear leaf-spring clampholder. As the truck leaf spring compresses, it elongates rearward, still allowing for clearance. I know this thru trial/error.
These can be left on if not baja-ing.
They will raise the back of truck 1 inch+.
They give a slightly stiffer ride, but a better launch. It takes longer to jack the truck up, than it does to install or remove the springs.
Simple job. Now, I have a Baja & Payload Raptor.
Service and delivery comments:
I chose these guys (trucksprings.com) because they have been around . . . almost as long as me .. well, since the Twentieth Century.
Clean,Fast,Priced Right, Order = happy camper
BOTTOM LINE Yes, I would recommend this to a friend