Eliminate bed sag when towing(less expensive)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this has been touched on in various different ways. However I need something cost effective that will allow me to occasionally tow a heavy trailer maybe 6 times a year. I meet all weight specs, etc and have already towed it without issues. I just want to eliminate the sag when towing. I use my truck lightly off-road which will most coincide with trips I am towing. If it does get off the ground its not more than a couple inches and I don't foresee myself going full superman anytime soon. I know there is bumpstop kits and long travel kits. Both seem overkill for what I need and both are definatly more than I am wiling to spend for my specific issue. So with that said what has been done here successfully already and/or what would you recommend?

So far my research shows that the two most cost effective ways of doing this are Timbren SES and Firestone Air bags. Less than $450 for each solution. From what I can tell advantage of Timbren is that you can easily switch it out with stock setup and off-road just like you would normally, the downside from what I can see is you would still get 1-2" of sag since it doesnt contact the axle to start. The Air Bags advantage is being able to adjust to load(mine will always be the same) and immediate contact is provided to the axle. Downside would be possible ripping/tearing of the bag during offroad use(how much is too much).

Thanks for any help that can be given. I have a set of the Timbren's in the garage but have a few days to return them in non-use form. So the debate in my mind is getting strong and conflicted.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes it does but i think it seems like the best way to go, if you can swing the extra money i bet you would be happy with the outcome. Everyone always says how much it changes the rear end of the truck. Maybe someone who has a set can chime in. Just want you to happy with the outcome.

OP
OP
Tiberius

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it does but i think it seems like the best way to go, if you can swing the extra money i bet you would be happy with the outcome. Everyone always says how much it changes the rear end of the truck. Maybe someone who has a set can chime in. Just want you to happy with the outcome.

Something to think about for sure. I wonder if the factory ride is still intact after this as well.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been on the fence too. I tow a lot!!

I had some super springs on my truck for 2 years. Worked great for towing lighter loads but would hit the frame if you towed a heavy load and hit a hard bump. The good part was it was only 20-30 min to put them on/off.

I bought a set of 1000 lb add a leaf but so far haven't put them on. My front is still set at factory and I wasn't sure how much they'd raise the back but that is adjustable by the spacer block you use.

Still on the fence about using them or selling.

OP
OP
Tiberius

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so talked to vendor I purchased from and they said I could test out the Timbren so I did.

Installation was piece of cake and switching back and forth to normal bumpstops would probably take 10 minutes once you have done it two times. So liked that gives me flexibility when going to the dunes.

It did do what it was supposed to however still more sag than I would like but that is by design it appears. Its what allows you to keep factory ride when not towing. I guess that would be benefit of air bags since you could adjust to preference. The ride was much better with the Timbren than stock but think for my purposes I am going to have to research the air bags further. Only other option in the cost effective realm seems to be add-a-leaf. Anyone tried yet?

Overall I was very impressed with the Timbren and would reccomend them for the price. Even as I type still debating on keeping them.

ditchpanther

Reaction score
I have been researching this as well with the forethought of getting a toy hauler. Here are additional ideas to the Timbrens. I am favoring the Timbrens but want to know about the ride when not towing, both in town and mountain dirt roads. Don't care about jumping but I like the ride cruising on dirt roads so I don't want to mess that up. Yes I am also planning to stay within the confines of the 8,000lbs towing capacity, I just would like some cushion for peace of mind. Distribution hitch planned as a must.

I like the Timbrens and these for bolt on/off application.

Hellwig 61902 are $210 on Amazon and free shipping with Prime membership. Made specifically for the Raptor and claims: "these units increase your vehicles level load carrying capacity up to 2500 lbs."
Ford Raptor Pro Series | Hellwig Products

Road Master active suspension is $400 on Amazon, free shipping. I'm not sure if this would work for the Raptor but it looks interesting.
How It Works | Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs

SummitRacing also has several.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...r/drivetrain/4wd/installation-kit-required/no

Couple posts on Road Master here, last one mentions using it:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/roadmaster-active-suspension-kits-8332/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiberius

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have weight dist hitch and didn't solve issue. Although I haven't tries timbren with dist hitch combo yet. Didnt think it would matter much since I was hoping timbrens would have smaller gap to the axle rest.

Ride in town with timbren seemed the same so no issues there. I will look at those others u listed as well.