******* locked keys in his truck with it running!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Hey all,

While at the Houston / Dallas meet yesterday I had an odd thing happen. I managed to lock myself out of the truck with it running! Yepper! *******!

Here is what happened or at least my theory of what happened.

We came back in from playing and I had smacked the front end and moved some sheet metal around some. I did some beatin and banging on it. I had the drivers door open to put something inside the truck and while the door was open I remote started the truck since were getting ready to head for home and I wanted to cool it off as we loaded our gear.

All of a sudden the fans came on and they were real loud. Louder than I remembered them being before? So I reached in and popped the hood for a look. This killed the motor. I guess the hood is on the cutout circuit of the remote start? Anyway I looked around and checked everything else since I was in there and closed the hood. I reached in the truck and started it with the keys. I then closed the door so it could cool off. The fans sounded correct now? HUMMMMM. Two speed fans?

So we loaded up our stuff in the back and when I went to open my door THE TRUCK IS LOCKED WITH THE MOTOR RUNNING AND THE KEY IS IN THE IGNITION! WTF!

Now here is where riding motorcycles for years comes into play. I have always carried a spare key on a different key ring than the one on the bike. Basically I have a spare key on me anytime I ride a bike. Shit happens, You put the key in a coat pocket or front pocket or some place and can't find it. So I just grab the spare and look later.

This has always had me keeping a spare key to my truck around when on the road or down on my land just in case. It paid off this trip. I reached in the left front pocket and pulled the spare key out and unlocked the door.
Man if I had not had that spare???????

So NEVER remote start the truck with a door open because to do so requires you to hit the lock button to start it. If you happen to drop the keys on the seat and close the door or if you do something to kill the motor by chance after remote starting with a door open, UNLOCK the doors before you start the truck with the key. I bet this was one scenario that Ford never thought would happen. HAhaaaaa.

BDRAG

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
damn u got lucky there. does your truck not have the keypad on the driver door handle?

Yes it does but I never went there since I had the key. But ya know I may have that code in my wallet too! HAhaaaa. I never use the key pad sept to hit the last two buttons at the same time to lock it! Good point. Now that will still not help you on the road or down on my property if I loose a key. I still have a chance to be a ******* there! HAhaaaa. Thanks for the reminder.

BDRAG

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

How many here know their door code for the keyless entry? How many know mine? HAHaaaaa. I guess I will need to remember the code now damnit!

BDRAG

Last edited:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
haha yeah the keypad dont help for lost key just if u locked it in your rig lol. i sometimes lock my keys in the truck and use the keypad while working if i know i have the chance of losing it or damaging them. i bent the keys to my last vehicles so i try to be gentle on these

i know my code.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
haha yeah the keypad dont help for lost key just if u locked it in your rig lol. i sometimes lock my keys in the truck and use the keypad while working if i know i have the chance of losing it or damaging them. i bent the keys to my last vehicles so i try to be gentle on these

i know my code.

So what is your code? HAhaaaa. I gotta find that plastic card with that number on it now. I guess I could make my own code. Be easy to remember if it was letters and not numbers. Just make the code D U M B A S S. HAhaa.

BDRAG

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wondered for a second, I'd feel like a complete ******* if I locked myself out and said I couldn't get in and then realized the keypad was there. That's about like the girl who called 911 and said she locked herself in her car and the battery had died so she couldn't get out.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you remote start the truck, it will shut itself off after either 5, 10 or 15 minutes whichever one u set it at.

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the code so not an issue don't know why ya wouldn't set your own code it's a great feature

Sent from my S4