Drain nut welded to diff cover...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo... I recently got a Mag Hytec diff cover and put it on my truck. So now I have, in my garage, my old diff cover that has almost no value, but because I am unable to throw anything away, it will sit in my garage forever.
So here is my idea... If someone here is a good "welder of all things small", and is willing, we could take my cover, drill a 3/8 hole toward the bottom, and weld a nut over it that would accept a bolt and rubber washer/gasket making a fluid drain.
I don't need it any more obviously but someone else might. I'll donate my cover, someone does the drill and weld and passes it to the next guy who wants it. He in turn mails his cover back to welder guy who makes next cover. This way, nobody has to sit without a cover waiting.
The only cost would be nuts, bolts, and shipping for the buyer... and of course welder guy's time.
What does everyone think? Who wants to be welder guy?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to have to be a TIG or MIG job, and done expertly. Heat the nut up too much and the threads will lose their temper. Also, too much heat may deform the cover itself and lead to leak problem down the road.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would it not be easier to just drill a hole, insert a piggy back oil drain bolt with a nut to secure it, and call it a day?

Last edited: