Door Panel Rock Damage - Concern?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
~700 miles and I've already got paint chips on my doors, down to the metal. Haven't even gone off-road yet, other than some dirt parking lots. The damn BFGs grab rocks and just chuck them into the doors at 60mph, it's hard to listen to driving down the road, but I'm not gonna get out and tooth-pick rocks out from the tires!

Is this just part of the Raptor experience? Anyone else have scars on their doors?

:emotions133:

The truck is going to get driven, so this is going to happen, I accept that. However, is there any reason to worry about this, rust or otherwise? Do these need any special treatment?

I'm aware of the prevention methods (3M film, mud flaps), but this thread is focused on post-damage so lets leave the prevention options out of this discussion.

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that sounds like a defect in the paint from the factory!!! Take it to the dealer and raise hell if they don't want to do any thing about it. My dealer coated my truck with some teflon stuff and gave me a 7 year warranty against stuff like that.

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Well, that's a response I didn't expect. Defective paint? I'm having a hard time justifying that. I mean, I hear the rocks hitting the skid plates and door panels while I'm driving, and see the result is paint chips from the contact. In my experience with automobile paint, if you take a rock, throw it at any automobile door, a paint chip is to be expected. Are you saying that rock chips on the doors of Raptors are not a common thing, despite the off-roading and lack of mud flaps? Just looking at the tires, they are practically aimed directly at the door panels, so I'm having a hard time understanding how I could go to the dealer, tell them that the tires are throwing rocks at the door, and claim that the paint shouldn't be chipping from it. That said, I hope your theory is right, and that I have some sort of leverage to twist the dealer's arm.

In a perfect world, assuming my paint is defective, can I take it to any Ford dealer, or only the one I bought it from? (I bought out of state)

Am I the only one with paint chips on my door from rock projectiles? I really can't imagine that I am...

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They're being wise-asses.

I picked up some touch-up paint and fixed the couple little spots that I got - before I solved the problem with Vortex flaps.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Well, that's a response I didn't expect. Defective paint? I'm having a hard time justifying that. I mean, I hear the rocks hitting the skid plates and door panels while I'm driving, and see the result is paint chips from the contact. In my experience with automobile paint, if you take a rock, throw it at any automobile door, a paint chip is to be expected. Are you saying that rock chips on the doors of Raptors are not a common thing, despite the off-roading and lack of mud flaps? Just looking at the tires, they are practically aimed directly at the door panels, so I'm having a hard time understanding how I could go to the dealer, tell them that the tires are throwing rocks at the door, and claim that the paint shouldn't be chipping from it. That said, I hope your theory is right, and that I have some sort of leverage to twist the dealer's arm.

In a perfect world, assuming my paint is defective, can I take it to any Ford dealer, or only the one I bought it from? (I bought out of state)

Am I the only one with paint chips on my door from rock projectiles? I really can't imagine that I am...

I do serious offroading. A lot of roads are unpaved here and I fly down them sideways all the time and I have never had rock chips on the door panels like you have and my truck has 52000 miles. I run general grabber red letters and they Don't pick up rocks quite as bad but they bite very very well. If your truck is having the issue, there is a mud flap thread somewhere that could give you advice on the way to go. But if you are like me, mud flaps aren't your thing and I would just get ford to write a check and fix it haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
I do serious offroading. A lot of roads are unpaved here and I fly down them sideways all the time and I have never had rock chips on the door panels like you have and my truck has 52000 miles. I run general grabber red letters and they Don't pick up rocks quite as bad but they bite very very well. If your truck is having the issue, there is a mud flap thread somewhere that could give you advice on the way to go. But if you are like me, mud flaps aren't your thing and I would just get ford to write a check and fix it haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

52k miles, high-speed off-roading, no mud flaps, no 3M film, and not a single paint chip? Did you ever go off-roading with the BFGs? Their tread seems perfectly suited for grabbing and throwing stones. I wonder if it's all in the different tire...

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes bmart, I have small rock chips from where the BFGs have thrown up rocks into the door panel, and I'm sure if these other guys checked closely they would also have chipping, or they aren't really offroading and just like saying they are, I've had them since a few weeks after I got the truck and there has been no rust so far, and the truck sits out even when it rains, if you're on the east coast you might have to worry more about rust though

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Yes bmart, I have small rock chips from where the BFGs have thrown up rocks into the door panel, and I'm sure if these other guys checked closely they would also have chipping, or they aren't really offroading and just like saying they are, I've had them since a few weeks after I got the truck and there has been no rust so far, and the truck sits out even when it rains, if you're on the east coast you might have to worry more about rust though

That's good to hear, thanks for the relative input. I live in the PNW, inland, so I won't worry to much about it.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sometimes park my truck at a construction company and yes. I pick up little rocks in the tires all the time. The tires then like to spit them out at about 40 mph for me. I got a couple on the door lowers. And I've got the factory wheels and tires as well. Definitely getting a different set of shoes when these wear out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 107