GEN 1 Does it bother anyone that the front end is plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
composite material, I have been able to tell on every Raptor I have seen that the front is plastic and the paint on those panels doesn't quite match the paint that put on the metal. Plastic components are different so the composite material they used holds paint different then the metal pieces.

I can really tell the difference on Red, Blue and White. While Black is hard to tell the difference I can by looking at the smooth ness of the panels, it has no orange peel to it.

Just wondering if this bothers anyone else?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nope, but thought it was fiberglass

The fenders and hood are. I think the only thing that's plastic is the lower valence and the grill.

Buy my truck!

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never noticed a lack of match - the front end was painted in the same way as the rest of the vehicle as far as I had assumed. The paint certainly seems to chip off so as far as I can tell its not a colored gelcoat. I had noticed that the flare of the front fenders can create an optical illusion of a difference

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fenders are some sort of fiberglass but valance is plastic, don't know about hood. Finish on those are definitely different but didn't see it before i got my new fenders back from painter. I got valance repainted so it was lot easier to see difference when i got back and installed them.
Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, just don't look at it too close. I like to admire it from a distance so that I can see in all its glory :ROFLJest:
Keep it clean and polished or covered in dirt then it's pretty hard to
tell :biggrin:

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any metallic finish will not be identical if painted separately, even with the same paint. There are too many variables from air pressure at the gun, viscosity of the mixed paint, and the color of the sealer underneath all contribute to a "slightly" off appearance. Metallics and especially light colored matallics are most susceptible to color variations. So if they are using an already painted bed, cab and hood from the F150 line and add the front frp fenders and plastic valance at a later time, it will definitely look like a shade off. When we change a front fender out, to do it right, we blend the paint into the hood and door and re clearcoat them to create the illusion of a perfect match. That said, my Silver Raptor does look slightly different, but not enough to be concerned about.

Just add some desert pin striping to it and you'll never think about the difference in paint match :biggrin: