The Differing Modes of the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the fantastic things about our Raptor is the Off-Road mode in all of it's iterations. Sure, we have the Cool card that came with the Raptor that attempts to explain the different Modes. Don't know about you, but I think it is about as intuitive as a mudhole. "Let's see... so I push the Advance Track button for 9.72 seconds, hold my right foot 2 inches off the floorboard and spit ONE green pea into the coffee cup holder... or was that TWO little green peas???"

My knowledge Base Candidate is a discussion of the different modes of Engine and Transmission scheduling that make our trucks so formidable and unique - and how best to employ them.

The result will hopefully be a synthesis of the Brian/MMD/MarkT etc. experiences that we can put into a concise list. First and foremost, discussion on what you can actually DO with the different modes, and a consensus of what Mode works best in what situation, and more importantly WHY.

Then, from that... the list that Ford was trying to make but failed IMHO... A "To do THIS, select THAT" type of cheat sheet. One we can study in length, and then practice in a safe area until you get proficient at it. Things happen QUICK in the Raptor... the last thing you have time to do is go "Hmmmm... let's see. I am in sand, going between 53 and 62 MPH, with some Whoops and a 90 degree curve to the RIGHT coming up... I think I should be in... DAMN it! You get the picture. <G>

By the way, this epiphany came to me as I was tearing down the back "Tank" roads in the wilds of Fort Leonard Wood... they leave some interesting bumps in the dried gumbo <G>. Nothin my Raptor couldn't handle, but for a while I thought my can of Cutter in the passenger door pocket was gonna blow <G>. I found myself REALLY wishing that I had Brian and/or Mark riding shotgun, with MMD in the back, giving me the pointers that they learned the hard way (have you SEEN Brian's skid plate?? <G>). Short of that happening, I think this Knowledge Base article could fill the bill.

Ideas/Comments? Existing threads that we can pull together?

Falcon

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, great Idea! I read the card several times, and even thought I have not taken it off road yet (almost healed lol) I planned on just hitting the off-road mode and calling it an event LOL... this will be cool if we had a concise list of the options, what it is best used for, and what it does! I like it... great idea!

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine didn't come with the damn peas.

I knew there was a reason my stupid icon didn't blink when I tried to turn AdvTRAC off with the diff locked.

I'm off to grocery store for some peas.

God damned truck.

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't come with the damn peas.

I knew there was a reason my stupid icon didn't blink when I tried to turn AdvTRAC off with the diff locked.

I'm off to grocery store for some peas.

God damned truck.

I laughed so hard I slopped my beer <G>. Good thing I got a Keg!

Falcon

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I followed the link, ( http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread...odes-Explained ) and found I had posted a quite detailed post. I am getting to where I can hide my own Easter Eggs <G>.

BUT, I still think it should be a major Knowledge Base article. If the purpose of SVTO is to learn about the Raptor, and how to get the most out of it, then IMHO you can't get any more helpful than explaining the different modes in detail, as you started to in your other post. The post kindof petered out before fruitation, if you ask me. OffRoad mod and being able to selectively deactiveate the nannies is what makes the Raptor different from any other production 4x4. That and the suspension give it the difference. That is the 'magic' of the Raptor, and I personally would like the topic to have some "In your face" publicity so all the members can be aware of what the Raptor can do, thanks to innovative programming by SVT engineers.

And I personally think that the REAL offroaders on the forum would comment on how they use the different modes to the best effect. So learners like me would actually USE the capabilities of the Raptor. Just my 2 cents.

Falcon

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is one of the best subjects for a Raptor forum and I appreciate what Falcon is trying to do and what others including Jason have done to address the subject.

My approach is to try and simplify things as I'm a simple kind of guy :mrgreen:

When we consider all the permutations (conditions) that are possible using Off-Road Mode, AdvanceTrac®, 4-Hi, 4-Low, Locker-on, Locker-off and then we add in other conditions such as Hill Descent Mode and Tow/Haul mode, things can seem quite confusing for Raptor owners.

My suggestion is to break this down into a smaller set of conditions by focusing only on Off-Road Mode and AdvanceTrac®. This way once we understand those two key conditions, it should be easier for us to add in turning on 4WD by going 4-Hi, 4-Low and Locker-on and Locker-off.

So, using only the language in the SVT Raptor Owners Manual Supplement, let’s take a look at Off-Road Mode and AdvanceTrac®:

1. Off-Road Mode

Off-Road Mode How to engage: With the vehicle traveling less than 5 mph (8 km/h) and your foot off of the accelerator pedal, press this button to turn on off-road mode. A chime will sound and a message will display indicating that off-road mode is active. If any of the conditions are not met, the message center will display the appropriate messages to guide the driver through the proper operating procedures.

With this mode enabled, the operating characteristics of the following features will be altered: Transmission shifting and response – Transmission upshifts are delayed and occur less frequently. This ensures the best possible vehicle response and acceleration if the driver needs to briefly lift off of the throttle to negotiate an obstacle or corner.
AdvanceTrac® - When off-road mode is engaged, the AdvanceTrac® settings are altered for optimized off-road.

2. AdvanceTrac®

2.A. AdvanceTrac® - “P1” (Push Once)

How to engage: Press AdvanceTrac® button (“Sliding Car” icon) once

With this mode enabled, the operating characteristics of the following features will be altered: This places the vehicle in the off-road sport mode with the ESC, RSC and ABS active. TCS and ESC are altered to allow for more tire spin and vehicle slip. It also puts the ABS in a unique off-road mode calibration.

2.B. AdvanceTrac® - “P&H” “Push & Hold”)

How to engage: Press and Hold AdvanceTrac® button (“Sliding Car” icon) once

With this mode enabled, the operating characteristics of the following features will be altered: This places the vehicle in the off-road sport mode with the ESC, Rsc, and traction control systems disabled and also puts the ABS in a unique off-road mode calibration. In addition to the benefits of disabling traction control as described previously, disabling the RSC system allows for more “spirited” off-road driving maneuvers.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Notes: (from the Owners Manual Supplemental)

When off-road mode is on, pressing the AdvanceTrac® button will change the ABS to an off-road specific calibration.

The ABS off-road mode desensitizes the ABS. This helps on very rough terrain/adverse driving where the ABS may become too active and hinder the type of driving required in off-road situations.

Electronic locking differential (ELD) – If engaged, the ELD will remain locked until the operator manually disengages it with the control know, or disengages off-road mode and exceeds the standards ELD speed thresholds. See Electronic locking differential in your owner’s guide for more information.

Tow/haul mode – If tow/haul mode is active, it will be disabled. Also you cannot select tow/haul mode when off-road mode is on. As the SVT Raptor is primarily a performance vehicle, off-road mode takes priority over tow/haul mode.

Warning: Off-road mode is specifically calibrated for off-road driving conditions and should never be used on pavement.

Off-Road Mode:

Transmission shifting and response – Transmission upshifts are delayed and occur less frequently. This ensures the best possible vehicle response and acceleration if the driver needs to briefly lift off of the throttle to negotiate an obstacle or corner.

Electronic locking differential (ELD) – If engaged, the eLD will remain locked until the operator manually disengages it with the control know, or disengages off-road mode and exceeds the standards ELD speed thresholds. See Electronic locking differential in your owner’s guide for more information.

AdvanceTrac® - When off-road mode is engaged, the AdvanceTrac® settings are altered for optimized off-road performance.

Tow/haul mode – If tow/haul mode is active, it will be disabled. Also you cannot select tow/haul mode when off-road mode is on. As the SVT Raptor is primarily a performance vehicle, off-road mode takes priority over tow/haul mode.

AdvanceTrac® Modes:

The AdvanceTrac® system, when used with off-road mode, provides the SVT Raptor with alternative AdvanceTrac® calibrations which improve off-road performance.

Note: Operating the vehicle in this mode does not guarantee that the vehicle will not become stuck in sand, snow or mud, etc. It is the driver’s responsibility to assess off-road situations and determine if the terrain is passable.

Hill Descent Mode

Hill descent allows the driver to set and maintain vehicle speed while descending steep grades regardless of surface conditions. Refer to the Message center in your F-150 owner guide for hill-descent related messages.

Hill descent control can maintain vehicle speeds on downhill grades between 2 and 20 mph (3 and 32 km/h). Between 20 and 40 mph (32 and 64 km/h), the system remains armed, but descent speed cannot be set or maintained. If vehicle sped is above 40 mph (64 km/h), the system is disabled. After this point, vehicle speed must drop below 40 mph (64 km/h), and the hill descent control button must be pressed again to engage the feature.

Above information is from Owners Guide Supplement Driving – pages 10-19

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, so what's this all mean? How does all this text simplify this?

As I see it, here's what it all boils down to:

1. Do you want to run in Off-Road Mode? Typically you do otherwise you're driving an F-150 with a great suspension but missing out on turning off the nannies. (Press Off-Road Mode button)

2. How do you want AdvanceTrac® to work?

A. AdvanceTrac® in "off-road sport mode with the ESC, RSC and ABS active. TCS and ESC are altered to allow for more tire spin and vehicle slip. It also puts the ABS in a unique off-road mode calibration." (Press AdvanceTrac® once)

or

B. AdvanceTrac® in "off-road sport mode with the ESC, Rsc, and traction control systems disabled and also puts the ABS in a unique off-road mode calibration. In addition to the benefits of disabling traction control as described previously, disabling the RSC system allows for more “spirited” off-road driving maneuvers." (Press AdvanceTrac® and hold)

4WD: Now, do you want to run in 4-Hi? If you want the front wheels to pull (as opposed to just steering), while you're running "fast" then you want 4-Hi. If you're going slow, you want 4-Lo.

Locker: Do you want the rear end locked?

Hill Descent Mode and Tow/Haul Mode are different animals altogether and typically do not belong in this conversation since your driving style and terrain/road conditions will typically be quite different if you're considering using them.