Did I damage my 4 wheel drive system ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know the ratio for 'low'? (I'm sitting in the back of an RV rolling down I80 and can't check)
2:1 would put the highway rpm at around 4k, but running relaxed; trans would be happy also. MPG would not suffer all that much.
Only real problem would be driveline windup leading to tire slippage; maybe hopping in turns.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yikes. I would definitely change the fluid in transfer case ASAP.

You never look at your tach when you're driving?

OP
OP
VENOMIZD

VENOMIZD

Reaction score
Yikes. I would definitely change the fluid in transfer case ASAP.

You never look at your tach when you're driving?

I only picked up the truck 3 weeks ago and only had the trailer hooked up on a shorter trip once. The tach seemed fine in my mind.

I'm thinking perhaps with the trailer tow mode on it may have disengaged the 4x4 low as once I dropped the trailer and drove off I then felt I was in 4x4 low.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only picked up the truck 3 weeks ago and only had the trailer hooked up on a shorter trip once. The tach seemed fine in my mind.

I'm thinking perhaps with the trailer tow mode on it may have disengaged the 4x4 low as once I dropped the trailer and drove off I then felt I was in 4x4 low.

I don't think trailer tow mode would disable 4-LO, as 4-LO is occasionally quite useful for towing (think heavy boat and slippery ramp). Should be pretty easy to test that out, though. If you do, please report back.

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4l does sometimes fail to engage, but you would get a warning about that in the info display

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

I think the ratio is 2.7:1, so 60 mph would be pushing 5400 rpm. How you would not notice that is beyond me.

Edit for math.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no way you were running 4LO on the highway and not noticed. I think you may have been in 4HI and possibly knocked it into 4LO by accident when getting home, or someone was f@cking with you and changed it on you at the end to make you think you were in 4LO. I've spent hundreds of hours in 4LO on Jeeps and my Raptor going over rocks and rocky terrain. Unless you are deaf, drunk, stoned or 12 years old and never driven a truck before, there's no way you were in 4LO on the highway and not noticed.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

I just noticed you're Canadian. You may have been in 4LO.